What's new
What's new

Needing D1-4 backing plate grizzly any good?

• Thread starter Ed
  • Start date
  • Replies 12
  • Views 2,164

Ed

Aluminum
I need 2 backing plates. 8inch and a 6inch D1-4. I see grizzly sells them.
Are these any good. I see different prices there for the same size but no real explanation for why one cost more than another.
If anyone here is interested to trade I have 4 unused d1-6 plates, 1 unused d1-8plate and one used d1-3 6 inch plate.
Thanks ed

Mentioning the g-word on the Monarch forum is like walking into the Shamrock Bar on St Patrick's Day wearing an orange tie...just waiting for the detonation...

I need 2 backing plates. 8inch and a 6inch D1-4. I see grizzly sells them.
Are these any good. I see different prices there for the same size but no real explanation for why one cost more than another.
If anyone here is interested to trade I have 4 unused d1-6 plates, 1 unused d1-8plate and one used d1-3 6 inch plate.
Thanks ed

The D1 plates Shars sell have fit-up and worked "OK" for me - if & where very average-grade CI is good enough for yah. Could even be out of the same factory as those Grisely trades-in? At least one other PM member had reported having to take a few thou skim cut to get proper blue-up on taper AND flat at the same go.

Other mounts, higher RPM and/or heavier chucks, I've happily paid a premium for Bison or Gator forged-steel backplates, or have repurposed good-old ones off worn-out Cushman chucks. YMMV.

CAVEAT - Shars/Grisely will have the Metric threads on the studs, so will not be quite as strong there as the ones with US threads.

I could be interested in your D1-3 plate IF, and ONLY if, it is US threaded for the studs - which Macit have, if you need those, too. ISTR Shars, plus probably H&H Industrial sell Metric studs.

I've used inexpensive D1-3 plates but more as raw material than a finished plate. I check and fix the fitup on the spindle nose then (as with all plates) take a cleaning pass on the face. The cleaning pass is the minimum, a lot require some material removal for a chuck register or just some mass reduction; in any case I don't mount a chuck on the original factory surface.

I got a D1-4 plate from Shars and I was not too happy with it. The studs were undersized and did not engage properly. In the end I've replaced the studs with US made studs and re-tapped the plate to accept them. Would have been better off buying a decent product in the first place.

I got a D1-3 backplate from CDCO a while back. I haven't had time to use it yet, but it seems to be well made. Another fella here bought a 5C chuck from them with a D1-3 mount and is happy with it, as far as I know. They have D1-4 backplates in 5, 6, and 8" for under $60, as well as other D1-4 tooling.

Cal

I got a D1-4 plate from Shars and I was not too happy with it. The studs were undersized and did not engage properly. In the end I've replaced the studs with US made studs and re-tapped the plate to accept them. Would have been better off buying a decent product in the first place.

Curious as to "when" that went down.

I stash "spares" ahead of need when I see a good price, so several of my "Shars" were so-branded in the BOX and/or wrapper, but had been bought from OTHER sources on ebay, only one directly from Shars.

I'd guess the age from a few months to ten years or so back, just from the scuffs, grunge, shelf-worn condition of the boxes, and smell of the greasy wrappers.

First thing I do is a trial fit to one (or now BOTH) D1-3 10EE. Have always needed to adjust the camlock studs, am not fond of the weaker metric threads, but otherwise not yet had an issue as to their fit.

First thing I do is a trial fit to one (or now BOTH) D1-3 10EE. Have always needed to adjust the camlock studs, am not fond of the weaker metric threads, but otherwise not yet had an issue as to their fit.

You're lucky. I've yet to see a Chinese one which didn't need it's back shaved a bit. :) ( You do make sure there is 2 thou space to the flat of the camlock... :) )

You're lucky. I've yet to see a Chinese one which didn't need it's back shaved a bit. :) ( You do make sure there is 2 thou space to the flat of the camlock... :) )

No, I do not want that. I want FULL bearing, taper AND flat, when cams are tightened properly.

And.. mayhap my spindle's noses, plural, are simply in better shape?

Nice having three to cross-check, BTW. I've a part-out 10EE spindle as well.

I have a D1-4 back plate I took off a chuck to swap with a D1-3 if you are interested let me know.

Back