What's new
What's new

New 10EE Owner, SO EXCITED! Did I do ok?

Howihowi

Aluminum
Hello Everyone,

Been watching the forum for a long time and just decided to join because I can't be more excited about my new purchase - 1968 Monarch 10EE.

I did as much research as I could beforehand but I also did not want to miss the deal. I think I did good. I was able to trade in my 3 year old Grizzly (which I did not expect to get much from), add $3,500 cash plus $350 for delivery of the 10EE AND pick up of my Grizzly.

I was quite impressed by the overall condition of the 10EE. I checked its functions thoroughly and everything works. I don't think I've been this excited for a long time, I hope I did good and was also hoping you guys can help point out anything wrong with it that I may have missed.

Super happy!! :D

IMG_20170120_1143595.jpg

IMG_20170120_1144254.jpg

IMG_20170120_1145098.jpg

IMG_20170120_1145582.jpg

IMG_20170120_1146066.jpg

I hope I did good and was also hoping you guys can help point out anything wrong with it that I may have missed.

Super happy!! :D

Nothing that old as won't need a few things, but you did good enough yah better go and sacrifice a goat. Or at least BBQ a chicken, 'wild caught' Salmon, or a rack of ribs.

10EE's don't DO stale hot dogs and tinned beans. Not until you have to spring for a set of spindle bearings, anyway.

:)

1968 "newness' and base sez 'Modular' Drive era.

PM'ers will wonder if still original 'vacuum state' & 5 HP Dee Cee motor - or what it has been converted to.

Fotos of the motor and 'lectrical innards, please.

Bill

Nothing that old as won't need a few things, but you did good enough yah better go and sacrifice a goat. Or at least BBQ a chicken, 'wild caught' Salmon, or a rack of ribs.

10EE's don't DO stale hot dogs and tinned beans. Not until you have to spring for a set of spindle bearings, anyway.

1968 "newness' and base sez 'Modular' Drive era.

PM'ers will wonder if still original 'vacuum state' & 5 HP Dee Cee motor - or what it has been converted to.

Fotos of the motor and 'lectrical innards, please.

Bill
Thanks Bill! The fact that the "OK" came from you means a lot!

I'm getting it painted right now so I don't have the machine yet. I think I will probably receive it by the end of the week, and your bet I will open her up for an inspection.

She runs really smooth through the rpm range, and I believe is still using the factory electricals. But I will definitely confirm when I receive it.

She runs really smooth through the rpm range, and I believe is still using the factory electricals. But I will definitely confirm when I receive it.

"Really smooth" it is also possible that you have a successfully implemented VFD conversion on its way to you.

Both can work well.

So can a DC Drive updated to modern solid-state. IF 'done right', anyway.

Costliest 'gotcha' beside bed regrind and all that goes with it are the spindle bearings.

See to their having clean reservoirs and proper lube as a priority.

Bill

"Really smooth" it is also possible that you have a successfully implemented VFD conversion on its way to you.

Both can work well.

So can a DC Drive updated to modern solid-state. IF 'done right', anyway.

Costliest 'gotcha' beside bed regrind and all that goes with it are the spindle bearings.

See to their having clean reservoirs and proper lube as a priority.

Bill
Thanks Bill, I will look out for these areas. Looking forward to reporting back next week. Can't wait to receive it!! :D

Congrats,

What is that box on the tail stock end of the base?

Steve

Looks like an hour meter to me.

The cross slide has a dovetail along the right side, and there are some extra holes in the saddle on the right side, so I suspect that this came originally with a cross slide dial indicator and stops. Russ Kepler has one on his lathe, perhaps he will post a photo.

The ELSR and taper attachment are nice accessories to have, it looks like you found a good one.

Looks like an hour meter to me.

The cross slide has a dovetail along the right side, and there are some extra holes in the saddle on the right side, so I suspect that this came originally with a cross slide dial indicator and stops. Russ Kepler has one on his lathe, perhaps he will post a photo.

The ELSR and taper attachment are nice accessories to have, it looks like you found a good one.
Thank you rimcanyon!

Sent from my STV100-1 using Tapatalk

They look impressive and they are pretty rare, Russ has one and somebody else I cant recall. A DRO would be far better and reasonably priced. There are users and the there are collectors, that indicator was great before DRO's became available. To use it there is quite a bit of set up.

Where in California are you?

Steve

They look impressive and they are pretty rare, Russ has one and somebody else I cant recall. A DRO would be far better and reasonably priced. There are users and the there are collectors, that indicator was great before DRO's became available. To use it there is quite a bit of set up.

Where in California are you?

Steve
That's true! As much as i'm already developing an attraction for its vintage appeal, the DRO makes a lot more sense to me. I'm located in Pomona, intersection of Hwy 57 and 10. And you? Are you a hobbiest or professional?

That EE looks like it has a fat tailstock ram, perhaps the one for #3 Morse but bored #2. Mine is #2 and would not accommodate a #3 bore.
Very interesting observation! I think you are right!

Mundane and perhaps obvious, those lathes are HEAVY and not easily scooted around, and they are top heavy so be very careful with any lifting/moving methods other than the recommended (the chain in the picture would preferably not be attached to a chinese engine hoist, but a suitable forklift rigging etc). Congrats, be careful and have fun.

View attachment 189294
Actually, I also read this part of the manual and was confused by it, I'm glad that you brought it up. It looks like I need to pick it up by the jaw? Is that right? Doesn't feel right to me... and what's the block for and how do I mount it?

That EE looks like it has a fat tailstock ram, perhaps the one for #3 Morse but bored #2. Mine is #2 and would not accommodate a #3 bore.

Agree on both observations. Even if but a #2, at least the stouter ram is a blessing.

Only redeeming grace of the 'majority' small-ram #2 MT TS and its frail key is that it clearly shouts:

"Drill from the carriage, dummy!"

You will not believe just how much better a 10ee is than that griz! You have gone from one of the worst to one of the best in one swap.
Thank you Moonlight! I'm highly anticipating a life changing experience! But I'm trying my best not to think too much about it so I won't get my hopes up too high....

Really don't know what to expect but I can't wait!

Back