What's new
What's new

New to me 12 ckk 14.5x56

Alfordgb

Plastic
Hello, I'm a newbie, inherited a sb 9a 2yrs ago been hooked ever sense. Have a chance to buy a monarch 12 ckk 14.5x56 @ 1250.00. Do you guys think it's worth it. Bed has very little wear, tool post missing, no power to it. It's been sitting under a shed for years. Looks like some electrical boxes are missing on the backside. It has at least 2 Chuck's both 4 jaw. What should I be looking for and checking. Grateful for any advice, thanks.

Last edited:
I'd certainly like to have that extra bed length on my 12CK.

Is there anyway you could power it up? Without the spindle running checking all the feeds and speeds is going to be a lot of work. Regardless, pull the headstock cover and give all the gears and shift dogs a close look.

Sent from my SM-G930R4 using Tapatalk

A means to get in there, load it, and move it.

Before someone like ME finds out where it is and beats you to all that.

Seriously.

Wholeheartedly agree! I love my 12CK so much that when I can across a series 60 14", I jumped on the too and can't let go of the 12CK now. Love both of those lathes. I started out with an SB13, and while it's a decent lathe, the Monarch is a world is difference. There is so much iron there, and it's so rigid, plus Monarch has been a Cadillac of lathes since the beginning.
And for that price, you can afford to do some restoration to it.

Chris

Well, I bought it. Pulled cover and looked in the head stock, looked brand new to me, shifted all the levers, all worked, some kinda tight. Could not get the cross slide to move, could the taper att. have something to do with that? Got 5, 4 jaw Chuck's and 2 steady rest. Thanks for the help.

Congratulations! You won't be sorry. It will be a world of difference from your SB.
Yes, the taper attachment could be involved. There are three fasteners in line across the cross slide, starting in front of the compound. The first one, the 7/8" headed bolt, see if that is loose. If not, loosen it. That is the one that connects the cross slide to the taper attachment, and is normally loose, floating until you need it. Next suspects would be rust and the gib.
Don't worry too much about stiffness/stickyness until you use it a while. My series 60 was a bit of both until I started using it, as it sat for years. It is now loosening up nicely.

Chris

Haven't figured out how to do that yet, and I can't get a good picture of it the way it's sitting. Did get the cross slide to move, a combination of rust and tight bolt. Thanks for the advice. Now Gotta figure out how to move 6000lb?

Back