What's new
What's new

New To Me 59 10EE

riseandgrind

Cast Iron
Have always admired the Monarch 10EE - The prices, not so much. Well as luck would have it, this unit kind of fell into my lap today. Feeling very lucky. Started to do some general reading on the Monarch - Pulled the end cover and saw the 2 big tubes and was kind of bummed (Maybe I shouldn't be)

Was sitting inside a warehouse and the story goes like most, it ran before the owner passed away. For the price I didn't even bother to fire it up and check, as I know the electrical can be finicky on these units.

Serial #44045
Year 9-59

Anybody care to chime in with any pointers, or additional information on this unit?
RPM maxes out at 3k according to the dial, appears to have part of a taper attachment and a 4 jaw chuck.

How the heck do you find stuff like this?! I'm dying for a Monarch 10ee and can't find one to save my soul. I both envy and hate you for your luck. Sincerely, Boxelder. No, but really - darned nice find. Hoping to join the club someday.

that looks like a wiad drive just like my 1955
wiad stands for 'works in a drawer'
that whole tube assembly slides out

i just got mine a month ago and I've spent some weeks getting to know it

first you need to find out the input voltage

mine was three phase 440v

i changed it to 3p 240

the guys on here have a wealth of knowledge about these machines

The main thing with the WIAD is that by itself is a single phase unit. Only the coolant pump is the 3 phase component. If you are lucky, you might be able to hook up 220/240 ac from the house and be good to go. Best to get the documentation for your machine from Monarch. My ser# is 43705, 2/59...not too far off. Your machine also has the desirable Micro-Gaging diameter dial on the cross- slide, which was an option.

Thanks for the input. It has a 30A plug on it. I'm hoping it's wired for 220/240 as I run all my shop equipment off a 25HP Rotary Phase converter. I only had enough time to pick it up and drop it inside my shop.

Overall the machine looks like it was well taken care of. It's dirty from sitting in a warehouse.

If it is 440v what are my options? Can I change the leads around and wire it for low voltage 220 like most 3phase motors? I'd just like to keep it simple. Clean it up and get it running.

open up the main contactor in the back of the machine
the box with the red overload reset button

there is a coil its there
look at the voltage on the tag for the coil
that is an indication of the input voltage

if its 440 there is a sticky at the beginning of this forum
about changing the voltage on a wiad simply

i did it to my machine it works

dont do anything till your sure on the input voltage

Your lathe motor is a DC motor. Repeat..the only thing that is 3 phase on the machine is the ORIGINAL coolant motor. The idea of using flood water based coolant on a EE , gives me the willies. You will have to "restrap" ( change the wiring configuration) a few transformers to change the voltage....hopefully. Not a deal breaker. Some folks get a step up transfomer for the main, but I don't know how well that works.

Your lathe motor is a DC motor. Repeat..the only thing that is 3 phase on the machine is the ORIGINAL coolant motor. The idea of using flood water based coolant on a EE , gives me the willies.
Ditto. But OIL based is righteous. The / a pump will manage it.

That said, even WITH 3-P available, it is dead-simple to put a connector on the sump drain fitting and
migrate to a 240 VAC (or even 120 VAC) 1-P pump, feed 'tank', reclaim/setting 'tank' and filters that need not be mounted ON the machine atall.

Add wheels. Take the whole rig to a service point. Or use it on another machine. Less money tied-up and sitting idle in several sumps. Higher probability it WILL be maintained.

24 X 7 3-shift a day production is no longer common for manual machine tools, 10EE or any other.

Bill

Back