Largest Manufacturing Technology
Community On The Web
Close
Login to Your Account

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Nice work! Soon enough I'll also be swapping mine over to 5hp 3ph... (1980 model). Should you decide to not use that tool tray arm, let me know. I may be interested, if no one else has beat me to it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I'm giving it some thought. I guess I'm going to have to sit down and figure out what parts I may want to keep. Historically, I tend to keep everything "in case I ever want to put it back". Realistically, I never put anything back. So, I should be just getting rid of a bunch of stuff. Thinking about the parts I have seen on Ebay since getting this machine, and more importantly, what they were listed at, I should be able to retire to Mexico after selling off the spare parts I take off of this thing!

Dave

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Virginia
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Yah, well... check the time it takes them to MOVE!

Mexico because Kansas may be under an ice-sheet before...

Monarchist
    Bill,

Sorry I hit the wrong button and wiped out your post. I put it back as best I could.

Cal
    Last edited by Cal Haines; 07-20-2017 at 04:11 PM. Reason: accidentally edited - sorry

4. Likes pianoman8t8, labeeman liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Arizona
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

DaveE907 went completely through his ELSR (among other things) and did a very nice rebuild. Here's a couple of his threads that may be useful here:

Cal

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I can truly say that this lathe is a project. I don't have the time to really go over every inch of it and make it like new again, though I do think that would be very rewarding. I need the machine to be usable, which it is. Still, I keep finding little stuff to fix that doesn't take long and doesn't cost much. The other day, I decided to get the felt cut for most of the wipers, and I did. In the process, I found that the wiper cover for the tailstock quill was bent up from having tools run into it, I suppose. So, I decided to make a new one. I'll press it out of some 304 SS I have laying around. First I need to turn some dies. So, measure the stock I have, draw it all up on some scratch paper in the shop, and then decide to fix the apron lever so that it doesn't have so much slop in it. So, the stock is waiting for when I get back to it. In the meantime, I pulled the sump off to work on the oiling issue as well. I am going to make a new key for the control rod gear either out of some annealed O-1 or 4140PH. But, while thinking about that, I keep thinking about the oiling. The pump pumps. I confirmed that. Which means that there must be blockage somewhere. Hmmm... That means removing more parts to look at that. Well, if I have the carriage off, maybe I should go ahead and get the wear taken care of before putting it all back together. Maybe I should have lived with the apron lever a little longer.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

What is it with this thread that keeps me from seeing anything but the first page of posts? Top shows "Results 1 to 40 of 45", I go to "Last" and top says "Results 1 to 40 of 45". I go to path "2" and "Results 1 to 40 of 45".

8. Likes pianoman8t8 liked this post
    Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Virginia
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by rke[pler View Post
    What is it with this thread that keeps me from seeing anything but the first page of posts? Top shows "Results 1 to 40 of 45", I go to "Last" and top says "Results 1 to 40 of 45". I go to path "2" and "Results 1 to 40 of 45".
    Patience.

Cal gave us a hint.

The VB editing toolset is still new to him. He is thorough. He will get it right in due course.

That's part of why "we" "hired" him, after all..

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Cal,

If I would have read Dave's thread before, I might have caught on to the key being separate. Those photos of the disassembled assemblies are mighty helpful, or may be mighty helpful when I forget how things came apart.

One thing I'm not sure of, on the lower apron-mounted housing with the double-sector gear, it appears that the pin has a solid dowel driven in to hold it in place. I can't tell if that is the case on Dave's lathe or not. It almost appears to be a setscrew in his photo, but the resolution of the uploaded photo might be fooling me.

I will have to double check as well, the washers sandwiching the felt wipers. I don't recall mine having any keys cut into them nor evidence of that they were once there. I don't know how important it is, but I could see where having them keyed, as well as the felt wiper, could be of great help keeping crud out of the inner workings. Mine was actually full of masking tape when I took mine apart. At first, I pulled a few pieces out that looked and felt like a dried leaf. Then as I dug deeper and got the wipers out of the way, a piece of tape wrapped around the rod became visible. Many shortcuts were taken at one point to make this machine look nicer than it was. I wasn't expecting to find masking tape hidden there, though.

Dave

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Arizona
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by rke[pler View Post
    I sent Russ an e-mail on this, asking what browser he's using.

Cal

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Cal Haines View Post

Cal
    FWIW, I'm using Chrome 59.0.3071.115 and it doesn't do anything weird like that. Also tried MS Edge 38.14393.1066.0 and all pages of the thread loaded fine.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Baby steps. Like I said, I am tackling this machine in little bites. Tonight I decided to pull the apron mounted control lever (I really should find the official name someday) and see why it doesn't lock into any of the detents shown in DaveE907's thread. So, I pulled the lever and found that something is not right. This is all I found. Looking at Dave's photos now, maybe the moving parts are jammed up in the handle and I just need to work them loose? The groove seen in the pic about 1/4" from the end appears to be just a groove worn in the shaft of the handle. There doesn't feel like it's two pieces. There's even a spot where a burr has formed in that groove, I think.

20170721_000910.jpg

The detent ring seems to be okay. There is some wear, but it's smooth and consistent. I don't know if it's worth remaking it. I do need to find out, though, if I have to make new parts for the handle, and since the little t1t is broken off, I do, It may be easiest to swage a ball bearing in the end of some bar stock. Does anyone have the dimensions of these parts? I can get close tracing the parts in cad from the pics that Dave posted in his ELSR thread, but as always, actual numbers seem to be better.

20170721_000944.jpg

I didn't remember seeing any keys on the washers on the ELSR control rod, but Dave mentioned keyed washers. So I looked again. Nope, no keys. But I do see where there was a key on this washer. The rest of the washers have a burr all the way around and one **might** show evidence of a key at one spot, but it could just be the way the burr wore. Anyway, I'll have to decide whether to call Monarch and price these parts, or make them. I have the stuff to make them on the plasma cutter and then file to fit, or I could make a punch, which would be really cool. Or, I might look around online and see if anybody makes an axle washer that thin in that size, though that's doubtful and probably not any less expensive.

20170720_234409.jpg

Lastly, the sector gear that rides on the ELSR control rod is in fine shape. But, I was thinking about something somebody said in Dave's thread about wear on the ends or in the sleeves that it spins in contributing to play in the handle. Maybe I'm grasping here, but since I have it apart, is it worth making better? I need to soak the sleeves to clean them up before I can really get decent measurements. There's so much crud in them. But it looks like one measures 0.8185" where the gear rides. I don't know if it's round, but measuring the gear, I have my doubts. (I didn't measure the end of the other sleeve because it's still in the housing.) I also measured the bearing surface on the gear and found that both ends are out of round. One end measures 0.8060"-0.8081" and the other measures 0.8041"-0.,8075". So, best case there's almost 0.010" of play one end. I didn't pay attention tonight to which gear end went in which sleeve. I'll surely know more when I get the other end out. Is it worth messing with? My gut says it's not, but if the 0.040" or so of wear in the key causes the handle to have over an inch of backlash (I really think it was closer to 2", but maybe my mind was messing with me) in it, then it seems to me that 0.010" in the gear might also be more than I would want. I mic'd the shaft at the end and it's 1/2" like it should be, but I forgot to measure the bore of the gear to see how much wear is there. I guess the thing that concerns me is the cumulative effect of all the wear. I doubt I'll do anything about the gear itself unless I have somebody grind it round again. But, then after removing material, I'll surely want to either remake the sleeves or bore and sleeve them. Maybe the thing to do is make the new key and see how it feels then. If I can move the double sector gear a significant amount with the new key, maybe then I do more to make it better.
    Thoughts?

Dave

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Cal Haines View Post

Cal
    Chrome, ver 59.0.3071.115 (should be latest on Linux).

I was thinking that this couldn't be a browser issue, but when I checked the url in Firefox it went to the right page. So I cleared the cache (and a few other things) in Chrome and lo and behold, it went to the right page.

So it was a browser thing.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

More progress, I think... I pulled the backgear off of the old motor. It'll take a little work to get the new motor aligned perfectly, but I don't see it as an impossible task. From reading other threads, the hole in the back of the backgear box is not necessarily concentric with the motor shaft, so I'll have to work that out. I'll get the old motor shaft covered up, in case anybody wants it. Man, I need to get rid of some of these spare parts!

So, into the backgear. Disassembled the box and found that the input gear is cracked along the keyway. It was probably serviceable, but I don't know how long it would work like that before it became a problem. It's a 1-1/4" bore anyway, and the motor I want to put it on has a 1-1/8" shaft. So, the current plan is to investigate a new gear. The dogs look to be in excellent shape, with a slight radius on the top of the leading edge. There were some burrs on the edges that I filed down. As Bob49 said, sure the easy to replicate parts are fine. C'est la vie!

But onto more pressing things. I need the lathe running to do some of what needs done there, so back to the apron. Most of the parts there are cleaned up. I'll put a coat of paint on them and maybe do something about the interference getting the apron off. (ELSR Apron Sump Removal)

I'm going to leave the wear in the bushings and gear for now, as well as the ELSR control rod and see just how bad it is. I have to believe getting a new key in there will make a world of difference, though. Once it's back together, I can make the pieces for the handle. (Or, I could just fire up the old lathe, but then I have to move the QCTP back over and, well, the 10ee is more fun to operate!)

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default New ELSR shaft key

Received more 4142 this week, so spent a little time making a new key for the ELSR control rod. No big deal, just dimensions. Comparing the slop of just the gear on the shaft, before and after, it's like a new machine. Okay, there's still room for improvement, and TBH, I didn't map the wear of the shaft, but I know there's more in the middle where the gear spends all of its time. But near the end, it went from almost a full gear tooth of rotational slop to very little, probably less than 0.020" at the tips of the gear teeth with the new key. So, for now, I'm going to get it back together and see how the lever feels. Oh, yeah. I need to make the rest of the pieces to get the lever detent working again. More little projects...

keys.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I've been doing some thinking about how far I want to go at this time. I have things I need to do, but I also don't want to tear this thing down 50 times. Unfortunately, while I think about it, not much gets done.

I did get the gasket for the sump cut out tonight. I had cut out a couple of samples of masonite to verify hole location and fitment. Made a couple of adjustments this afternoon to the drawing and took it to the laser after we got home from watching the meteor shower. I won't get to try it out until I get back from a business trip this week, and maybe some days after that. But it looks like it should work great. This Felpro gasket cuts great on the laser. There's something in it that gives off sparks as it's being cut, but the edges are superb afterward!

20170813_013332cr.jpg

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Virginia
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by whateg0 View Post
    I've been doing some thinking about how far I want to go at this time. I have things I need to do, but I also don't want to tear this thing down 50 times. Unfortunately, while I think about it, not much gets done.

I did get the gasket for the sump cut out tonight. I had cut out a couple of samples of masonite to verify hole location and fitment. Made a couple of adjustments this afternoon to the drawing and took it to the laser after we got home from watching the meteor shower. I won't get to try it out until I get back from a business trip this week, and maybe some days after that. But it looks like it should work great. This Felpro gasket cuts great on the laser. There's something in it that gives off sparks as it's being cut, but the edges are superb afterward!

20170813_013332cr.jpg
    Sheesh. Laser? Frisket knife here. I must be a Dinosaur after all. Don't have the time to go a-programming no CNC lasers when Monarch shipped a nice Cast-Iron template with every lathe.

That sort of side-trip might limit "how far you want to go".

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Monarchist View Post
    Sheesh. Laser? Frisket knife here. I must be a Dinosaur after all. Don't have the time to go a-programming no CNC lasers when Monarch shipped a nice Cast-Iron template with every lathe.

That sort of side-trip might limit "how far you want to go".
    Yes, laser! I cut out all of the felt wipers on it, too. Makes some nice parts. Sure, I could have cut it all out with an Xacto knife, but where's the fun in that? I always say I don't have time for stuff like this, but I seem to make time when it's something I want to do.

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Virginia
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by whateg0 View Post
    Yes, laser! I cut out all of the felt wipers on it, too. Makes some nice parts. Sure, I could have cut it all out with an Xacto knife, but where's the fun in that? I always say I don't have time for stuff like this, but I seem to make time when it's something I want to do.
    Welll the neat thing about CNC..

That's rightous .. IF.. you've saved the code. And could make for others. Maybe even Monarch Lathe themselves. Mind - I've no inside info. They may already do it that way. Or have dies.