New Owner! New project! - Page 4
Close
Login to Your Account
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by whateg0 View Post
    Ok, I've searched high and low and nobody else seems to ask this. Either that or I can't read. What oil goes in the apron mounted fwd/rev gearbox on the apron? Or does it take grease? It seems that anything is better than nothing, but since I have it apart, and verified I can pump grease through the zerk, I figured I'd find out what belongs there.
    If you're talking about the ELSR box hung on the apron: grease. I used an EP modified grease. Note that you may have to repair/replace the felt seals for the grease to be properly retained.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Monarchist View Post
    Apron GEARBOX? Where are you on the 10EE?

The apron itself takes way oil. Vactra #2 IIRC.

Only Alemite fittings I recall on my one were for the motor and MG bearings.
    No longer needed if bearings are replaced with sealed one.

I think...
    The ELSR lever.fitting.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by rke[pler View Post
    If you're talking about the ELSR box hung on the apron: grease. I used an EP modified grease. Note that you may have to repair/replace the felt seals for the grease to be properly retained.
    Thanks! I cut new wipers for the keyed shaft and am working on the washers now. I could mill them and file the key, but I think I'm going to punch them out. Should be fun, and at my speed, they'll be done by the next millenium.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Slightly more progress today. I got the apron-mounted ELSR box reassembled and put back on. They sure didn't make it easy to get to the mounting screws! I ended up milling a little away from the inside of the sump to allow it to slide to the left about 0.050" more. According to my math, I needed 0.037", so this should clear, if just barely. As my buddy Bob says, clearance is clearance! The carriage is still going to need to come off to fix the wear issues and get things back to a normal height, so I'm going to add some oilers to the front flat way wipers as I saw done here by somebody else. Then get it back in operation. I have parts to make, including some for the 10EE.

One area that I'm not really clear is on the apron mounted ELSR lever. Here is all that was in mine.
    20170721_000910.jpg

Here is what it is supposed to look like. So, does the spacer in the middle sit over the little t1t on the end of mine? I suppose in the end, it doesn't really matter as long as it functions, and I know I can make it function. I just am wondering what was supposed to really be there.
    elsr-drawing.jpgelsr-lever-correct.jpg

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

One area that I'm not really clear is on the apron mounted ELSR lever. Here is all that was in mine.
    The ELSR lever sits on a projection with 3 grooves cut in it for the spring stop to sit in, the groves are bevel cuts so that the stop arms can wedge them out and back to the center, off, position.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

The ELSR lever sits on a projection with 3 grooves cut in it for the spring stop to sit in, the groves are bevel cuts so that the stop arms can wedge them out and back to the center, off, position.
    The detent part is there. I'm not really sure about items EE2806, Z831, and EE3600.

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

The detent part is there. I'm not really sure about items EE2806, Z831, and EE3600.
    Here's a post with most of the information you'll need:

Carriage ELSR assembly

Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Here's a post with most of the information you'll need:

Carriage ELSR assembly
    That's where I found the pic that I have. No matter. I turned pieces to work, used a ball bearing for the end of the plunger. Here's what I ended up with. The part at the lower left wasn't used. I drilled the end of the handle and the plunger rides up into it.

elsr-lever-new.jpg

While it isn't as crisp as on a new machine, it works as intended again. I'm quite pleased.

I also got most of the new wipers installed. I didn't get the rear flat way wipers or the right end of the TS wipers installed yet, but the ones I've put in fit very snugly and seem to do a good job.

I'm not 100% sure, but I believe the front vee way is being oiled. There's more oil there than what I poured on it. The carriage still needs to be removed so that the wear can be addressed, but I have stuff to make now, so it will have to wait.