What's new
What's new

Newb, taper attachment questions

rakort

Hot Rolled
So questions from a 10EE newb! So wondering what the the attachment rod between the taper attachment and the bed looks like? Green circle? Anything to do with the taper attachment or more like a cutting fluid pipe holding bracket? The red line to the funk covered hole may suggest that is what the bracket is for....but then again that doesn't make sense because the rod needs to attach to the other part of the taper attachment. Anyhow, this setup doesn't seem similar to other pictures I have been able to locate so far.

Taper Questions.jpg

The circled part is stationary to the machine bed. A pipe or rod attaches to the circled part to a clamp on the machine bed that you probably don't have that looks kinda like a 'C' clamp.

Do a Google search for monarch lathe taper attachment. You will get all kinds of pictures and information on how they work.

Tom

The circled part is stationary to the machine bed. A pipe or rod attaches to the circled part to a clamp on the machine bed that you probably don't have that looks kinda like a 'C' clamp.

Do a Google search for monarch lathe taper attachment. You will get all kinds of pictures and information on how they work.

Tom

Tom - I'm new to the Monarch 10ee, but I respectfully disagree. The circle part is attached to the carriage, likely a mount for a light, coolant apparatus, etc. I don't think that particular part has anything to do with the taper attachment and may interfere with installing the rod between the taper and the bed clamp.

Ryan

Tom

Well somewhat (really) embarrassed....the part attached is stationary to the saddle (I believe that is what Tom meant to say) which means it can't be related to the taper attachment.

In the end we are all saying the same thing about that bracket. It holds a cutting/cooling fluid pipe, light, or something like that.

The question still stands how does the taper "anchor rod" attach to the underside of the taper attachment? I'll probably answer my own question when I clean the funk off the underside, but at this point I don't see the holes!? :/

The question still stands how does the taper "anchor rod" attach to the underside of the taper attachment? I'll probably answer my own question when I clean the funk off the underside, but at this point I don't see the holes!? :/
There's a little cast bracket, called the draw rod bracket (Parts picture E-9, 38), shaped like a butterfly, that attaches to the bottom of taper attachment slide (Parts picture E-9, 40) with two screws:

IMG_0809.jpg

IMG_0811.jpg

Cal

There's a little cast bracket, called the draw rod bracket (Parts picture E-9, 38), shaped like a butterfly, that attaches to the bottom of taper attachment slide (Parts picture E-9, 40) with two screws:

Cal

Nice, I did dig around and did find the draw rod bracket tucked up in there under a layer of funk! So at this point I'm looking for a rod bracket and a rod (which I'll probably make).

thanks Cal

Nice, I did dig around and did find the draw rod bracket tucked up in there under a layer of funk! So at this point I'm looking for a rod bracket and a rod (which I'll probably make).

thanks Cal

DIY is certainly do-able. Too much else on MY plate that I cannot easily NOT DIY, so I cheated and bought rod, nut, and bed-clamp bracket from PM member vettebob.

He made a pattern a while back and has been having the bracket's cast in small batches in Aluminium, offering them raw ELSE finish machined and painted.

http://www.practicalmachinist.com/v...ment-casting-312567-post2664069/?#post2664069

I took the finished one, with rod and nut. Nicely made, Aluminium is strong enough, and perhaps less likely to break then the original Cast Iron ones. And....... it was a drop-in fit to my '44 Round Dial 10EE. Happy camper, here!

2CW

DIY is certainly do-able. Too much else on MY plate that I cannot easily NOT DIY, so I cheated and bought rod, nut, and bed-clamp bracket from PM member vettebob.

He made a pattern a while back and has been having the bracket's cast in small batches in Aluminium, offering them raw ELSE finish machined and painted.

http://www.practicalmachinist.com/v...ment-casting-312567-post2664069/?#post2664069

I took the finished one, with rod and nut. Nicely made, Aluminium is strong enough, and perhaps less likely to break then the original Cast Iron ones. And....... it was a drop-in fit to my '44 Round Dial 10EE. Happy camper, here!

2CW

thanks I sent vette up with a PM

Back