What's new
What's new

Old and dirty. But new to me

csmed

Plastic
10ee manufacturing model without threading. But I love her regardless. Figured I'd just try to share some of the process getting her all cleaned up and humming. IMG_5792.jpgIMG_5729.jpgIMG_5433.jpg

csmed

Looks like your doing a great job, from top bottom.
How does it run and how much wear does it have?
What is the blue thing in the last picture ?
Keep up the good work.

Hal

Looks like you are going all out! Did you remove the spindle? If so, are you replacing the spindle bearings? Regarding the rebuilt oil pump, did you get a rebuild kit from Monarch? Please keep us posted with updates and photos!
Jim Murphy
San Diego

Looks like you are going all out! Did you remove the spindle? If so, are you replacing the spindle bearings? Regarding the rebuilt oil pump, did you get a rebuild kit from Monarch? Please keep us posted with updates and photos!
Jim Murphy
San Diego

Lathe was sitting in a storage container for nearly 15 years with periodic checks here and there. It was covered in a nice layer of greasy/oily mess, and along with being in arizona, this kept it in remarkably good condition. I have yet to spot any rust. Spindle had bout .002mm run out on the inside taper so it'll stay put, and the bearings feel great (oil was still at level and from what I can tell it helped preserve the bearings). As far as the pump goes, it was working great when I pulled it out. Close inspection of the flow regulator and rubber seals showed minimal wear and proper function. I didnt actually measure the flow regulator, but a gross approximation can be made with a syringe and some oil. articulated well and functioned as intentioned. I have a little powder coat set up that helps me along for those little bits that sit in oil. (I did clean up that mating 4 bolt surface btw).

While it took a minute to figure out the electronics she fired up within 10 minutes of playing around. magnetic switch was a bit sticky at first but it overcame that with some cleaning. still running the 115v dc motor. Im going to be rewrapping the main field poles as the insulation appeared to be pretty dryed out and worn. I took it through it's full range of RPMs before deciding to take her apart and rebuild. The ways are in good shape with minimal wear, but I would like to get it cleaned and humming before I remeasure. It appears the lathe was obviously used, but clearly well cared for and maintained. all the teeth on the gears, dials, and compound show minimal sings of abuse. Ill post some more pictures. when I get a chance

... still running the 115v dc motor. Im going to be rewrapping the main field poles as the insulation appeared to be pretty dryed out and worn. I took it through it's full range of RPMs before deciding to take her apart and rebuild. ...
Great job on the clean up and paint! I had the covers and lots of loose parts on my machine powder coated and was not happy with the results: the texture of the cast iron prints right through and it looks bumpy. I also couldn't match the powder coat color with the paint that I used.

What kind of motor do you have? That vintage machine would have originally had a motor with 230 VDC armature and 115 VDC field. Does it have a motor/generator to provide the DC?

Where abouts in AZ are you? (I'm in Tucson.)

Cal

Great job on the clean up and paint! I had the covers and lots of loose parts on my machine powder coated and was not happy with the results: the texture of the cast iron prints right through and it looks bumpy. I also couldn't match the powder coat color with the paint that I used.

What kind of motor do you have? That vintage machine would have originally had a motor with 230 VDC armature and 115 VDC field. Does it have a motor/generator to provide the DC?

Where abouts in AZ are you? (I'm in Tucson.). West side

Photo on 10-13-17 at 6.13 PM.jpgPhoto on 10-13-17 at 6.14 PM.jpgPhoto on 10-13-17 at 6.15 PM.jpgPhoto on 10-13-17 at 6.16 PM.jpgPhoto on 10-13-17 at 6.18 PM #3.jpg
Cal

appears to be all original including the motor. Im here in Tucson as well, speedway and silverbell area. I had no idea I was living this close to a 100e legend. We'll have to meet up at some point.

The powdercoat is reserved for the smaller parts that I can use to complement the rest of the lathe as well as the parts exposed to harsher environments. seems to hold up really well to solvents and oils. for the paint (on going process) I decided to lay down macropoxy 646 from SW. it's plenty stinky when spraying so the swamp cooler gets turned all the way up. still figuring out the best amount of reducer to get a good finish, regardless there is lots of body work required with this much cast iron, so Ill be at it for a while. Other nice consideration for the Macropoxy is how well it mates up other finishing products. 3M glaze coat adhears like a boss to the epoxy if you simply scuff the surface. It's fun sharing guys, thanks for the replies and information

Tucson it is, west side near PCC west campus. I apologize if I double post, newbie woes.

I had no idea I was living this close to a 100e legend. We'll have to meet up at some point.

The powdercoat is reserved for the smaller parts that I can use to complement the rest of the lathe as well as the parts exposed to harsher environments. seems to hold up really well to solvents and oils. for the paint (on going process) I decided to lay down macropoxy 646 from SW. it's plenty stinky when spraying so the swamp cooler gets turned all the way up. still figuring out the best amount of reducer to get a good finish, regardless there is lots of body work required with this much cast iron, so Ill be at it for a while. Other nice consideration for the Macropoxy is how well it mates up other finishing products. 3M glaze coat adhears like a boss to the epoxy if you simply scuff the surface. It's fun sharing guys, thanks for the replies and information
Photo on 10-13-17 at 6.13 PM.jpgPhoto on 10-13-17 at 6.14 PM.jpgPhoto on 10-13-17 at 6.15 PM.jpgPhoto on 10-13-17 at 6.16 PM.jpgPhoto on 10-13-17 at 6.18 PM #3.jpg

Tucson it is, west side near PCC west campus. ...

Small world! I know that lathe. I bet you bought it from Al's Machinery. As it turns out, my 10EE also passed through Al's shop.
IMG_0370 MFG lathe at Al's Machinery.jpg

I'm glad to see that you're giving the old girl a second chance! I would like to get together with you. I'll send you a PM.

I don't recognize the coil assembly in this photo. Where did you find it?
View attachment 210093

Cal

I love Al and his awesome machine shop. so many gems just hanging around. apparently he's trying to get an updated website in working order. I can't walk in there without wanting some sort of new machinery.

Go figure that you have a better before picture of my 10ee than I ever captured.

The coil is from the reliance DC motor
230x115IMG_5588.jpg
in all the dirty glory I found it in.

I may catch some flack for this, but the amount of knobs on the panels seemed to disrupt the lines of the machine (tease away). So I've adapted some shoulder bolts to get the job done. I still need to drill some taper pin holes through the shoulder and remove the threads, but I believe it'll help my goofy idea of what I hope this lathe to look like.
IMG_5807.jpgIMG_5806.jpg

and one more from inside
IMG_5801.jpg

The coil is from the reliance DC motor 230x115
View attachment 210146
in all the dirty glory I found it in.

I may catch some flack for this, but the amount of knobs on the panels seemed to disrupt the lines of the machine (tease away). So I've adapted some shoulder bolts to get the job done. I still need to drill some taper pin holes through the shoulder and remove the threads, but I believe it'll help my goofy idea of what I hope this lathe to look like.
View attachment 210147View attachment 210148

You're really doing a museum-quality restoration. Very impressive! You're going to give DaveE907 a run for his money.

If you still have the motor torn apart, it would be worth taking it (or just the coils) to a motor shop to have them re-varnished and baked. There's a shop over near TEP on Irvington that would probably do the job quite reasonably. Do you have a megger to check the coil's insulation?

Interesting idea on the knobs. It will be fun to see how that comes out.

Cal

attempting to see if I can link a video here. apologies if nothing exciting takes place here.

FullSizeRender 2.jpg

surfaces have managed to clean up nicely so far. I have some goofy harmonics going on in the SG that Ill have to sort out before I keep moving forward with the final pass.

Back