What's new
What's new

paint for sight oil sight glasses

crzypete

Hot Rolled
I pulled the sight glasses on my 10ee, and was thinking I'd repaint the metal disk. Any thoughts on what paint for oil exposure?

Thanks

Peter

I pulled the sight glasses on my 10ee, and was thinking I'd repaint the metal disk. Any thoughts on what paint for oil exposure?

Thanks

Peter

The internal light reflecting disk? Pass. I don't even have those on my ones.

Dairy-barn white, maybe? Tough as cut nails that is. Automotive exhaust enamel with ceramic or porcelainization? Red Glyptal will stand the oil. Wrong colour, though.

The bezel ring? F**k paint. Doesn't adhere easily. Unless one doesn't WANT it to do.

Top two need to come out every six to twelve months. RTFM. They are the 'drain' for flush and refill, uber-precious spindle bearings.

New ones. Nickel Aluminium Bronze, polished to resemble Gold. I have the "Brass" round-dial, after all.

3XX stainless. Also polished, for the White-metal Round-dial.

Bar stock is here for both. Long-since. Round Tuit? Not yet.

Some just buff the originals and wax them.

Made new ones for mime out of sheet Teflon Will never need painting.

I used polycarb cadged from HF LED flashlights. They still work without lenses.
Then the stock bezels with O-rings instead of cork. So far.

Do it take it you made the bezel and lense one piece?

That would seem to have merit, functionally.

How does it look?

I used polycarb cadged from HF LED flashlights. They still work without lenses.
Then the stock bezels with O-rings instead of cork. So far.

Do it take it you made the bezel and lense one piece?

That would seem to have merit, functionally.

How does it look?
here is some pic of what I did one plastic and one glass.IMG_20170813_055823.jpg

GlassIMG_20170813_055742.jpg

No not the bezel. The white disk with the black line that sits in oil. I would prefer to use something like alkyd enamel- rustoleum or lacquer- krylon. Didn't know if one was preferred for oil exposure.

Remaking it out of teflon? Interesting. How did you add the line? Or did you go lineless?

Pete

No not the bezel. The white disk with the black line that sits in oil. I would prefer to use something like alkyd enamel- rustoleum or lacquer- krylon. Didn't know if one was preferred for oil exposure.

Remaking it out of teflon? Interesting. How did you add the line? Or did you go lineless?

Pete

Red Glyptal may hold the key.

Used for ages INSIDE gearboxes, and about as oil-resistant as is known. IIRC is IS an Alkyd, Toluene vehicle, Xylol an optional thinner for spraying and/or to get it to seep into motor coils or be drawn there easily by vacuum.

White Alkyd may include the white - more than one maker has it - that is used widely in the Dairy industry. It has already been mention elsewhere on PM as one of the most durable of common and affordable paints.

Use of Teflon to outright replace the painted sector sounds easier to me that trying to prep each of many old ones for paint, then paint, then handle without damage TO the paint, not just first go but others that follow.

Especially for those of us who don't even HAVE an old one..

Thanks, all. I can use that..

:)

I used a non-catalyzed urethane paint used on model aircraft, figuring that if it stood up to the nitormethane in model fuel it'd handle the oil. Looks good 15 years later.

Thanks for all the responses and pictures posted. Glad other of some lasting success with paint. I suspect I'll go that route, as it is easy enough to clean and paint them up. I will file the teflon thought away as a back-up plan.

Pete

I went with Daryl's appliance paint suggestion. So far so good. I also polished up the rings and used some plastic polish on the lenses. They look great- kinda making the rest of the lathe look worse though.....

Pete

Back