What's new
What's new

Power Feed Issue

John.t.little1

Aluminum
Hey guys so when I picked up my lathe from the previous owner he showed me the problem with it and it wasn't enough of a deterrent for me not to get it. when the lathe is under power and in lever is in feed the power feed doesn't quiet work. This nob has every bit to do with it or well what the nob is attached to at least. Can y'all provide any insight?Lathe9.jpgLathe14.jpg

The knob you are pointing to is the feed reverse knob. Pushed all the way in, or pulled all the way out, will reverse the feed. There is also a center position that the knob goes in for threading. There is also a leadscrew reverse mounted on your headstock, over the gearbox, with two positions. If you change the leadscrew reverse lever, it will also change the feed reverse on the apron.
There are nuts with two holes in them, in the centers of the clutch housing castings that adjusts the clutches.
Harry

There is an odd box to the side of the cross feed clutch - what lathe did this come off of? Did it use to have a special attachment?

What is that whole arrangement about? Something very different about the cross feed on this machine. Does that thing power feed the compound? Or give additional range of feeds to cross slide? I've never seen an apron set up like that. You got me curious.

Sorry guys was moving and forgot to check on this. Ok my lathe has dual cross slides and they are both power fed. I have no idea the order of the nobs and what they do except that the big round nob is supposed to engage the power feed, the far left lever is for threading. It's a series 60 but monarch told me it's closer to a 61. I have schematics for the cross slide if I can figure how to scan them I'll try and upload it. But alas I tried engaging the feed again and no luck. Can kind of feel something when moving the round nob in and out but past that I'm lost..

Last I talked to monarch they told me it was special ordered from Chevrolet with the dual power cross slide and I have the blueprints I will try and snap a picture of them.

Off you notice the two levers with black knobs when lifted up they engage the cross slide for either the forward or reverse compound or both I can move both at the same time. Inside the wheel for the cross slide is a large knob that when pushed allows me to use the cross slide wheel for the compound. It feels like it's in a bind and can only get one full turn out of it. So I use the actual compound for now. Directly above the big silver knob to my understand is for reverse/neutral selection for power feed is a lever that when I push it down won't come up until I press the smaller lever above it. Than almost like it's spring engaged the lower lever pops up.

Didn't have so much else on my plate, be tempted to drive down to Florida just for the chance to play with sorting it out.

Bill you're welcome to come down and tinker anytime it'll be a bit before I can tear into the apron momma is about to pop the little one out any day now and I've got to get things turning with the business made a soda can mortar and will prob make a dozen more to sell while I'm waiting on my federal licensing. 02/07 ffl SOT

I'm sorry to hear that bill I was referring to my pregnant girlfriend were in our late 20's I'm looking for my monarch book can't seem to find it. It has the blueprints of the compound setup.

I'm draining the oil from the apron now I can't see screws to adjust anything on the feed rod/half nut. After messing with stuff I can get the power feed to almost catch. When I hold the wand wheel and manipulate the pull nob I can feel it skip like teeth on a gear that's to far part it want to but can't if that makes sense.

image.jpgimage.jpg
Here's a few pictures of the external contraption
I'm not sure if I actually want to tear the apron apart it's almost there all the bolts are loose/out and stuff is removed but not sure if that's a wasp nest I want to poke right now.

The power feeds should be controlled by cone clutches, and the adjustment screw (if I am not mistaken) was behind the eccentric handle. Now there is some odd looking thing going on with yours, it is defiantly not standard. Monarch made hundreds of special lathes. The apron is bolted to the bottom of the carriage. You got to pull all the shafts and leadscrew out of the apron before you can drop it off from the carriage.

Because it is not standard, you might want to call Monarch Lathes LP and give them your serial number, they might be able to pull the assembly and walk you through you problems. They still do this I hear. It might not be a bad investment to buy the manual with all the drawings.

John

Back