What's new
What's new

pre-WWII Rivet 1020

Rick Kruger

Aluminum
Sorry for being slightly OT, but I had an original manual for a 1020 fall into my lap with what might be the serial number on it:

Rivett 12 lathe manual - Album on Imgur

I believe there were a relative handful of these lathes made (25?) and I'd love to find the lathe it was for. Includes 3 copies of the marketing brochure and hand drawn schematic of the electronics.

This has been taken from a thread about mounting a 5C collet closer on an Monarch 10EE, but it is a discussion than should have it's own thread. :
http://www.practicalmachinist.com/v...c-lever-collet-closer-10ee-342590/index2.html

There were only a handful of these machines made. As I understand it, only about 20. Mine is serial number 107 and as far as we can tell, it was the first one to leave the Rivett factory. It was on a Navy contract. We only know of three others that still exist. MIne is on the factory cabinet, but the others we know about are not.

03_Rivett_107_Restored 640.jpg

Rick

Beautiful machine. Do any of the numbers in my manual look like a serial number?

Hard to tell. Mine, which we believe was the first to leave the factory has serial # 107. The number following "PA" could not be a serial number. If they made more than 20, the number "133" could be a serial number. There is a Rivett web site that has serial numbers listed (http://www.deprecision.com/RivettLathe.com/rivett_lathe_sales.html).

Serial numer 132 shows up as begining in 1949. As far as we know, the lathe shown in your manual was only made in 1941-42, when production was stopped due to WWII. When production resumed after the war, the 1020s were completely redesigned, much more simple and much more resembled the Monarch 1020.

So, I find it hard to believe the number "133-0" on you manual is a serial number. Only could be if what we believe is incorrect and Rivett actually made some of the pre-WWII designs after WWII before switching to the more "modern" and more commonly known, albeit still rare, Rivett 1020s.

Rick

Hello Rick just happened to look this evening on PM and saw your post.The serial # on my machine is 114 and was made in March 42.It is on I believe the same cabinet as yours.I think mine was fitted with a later single phase drive as I am pretty sure it has 1947 casting dates on it.Mine was also a Navy machine and was supposedly bought off a decommissioned sub in CA after the war.
This has been taken from a thread about mounting a 5C collet closer on an Monarch 10EE, but it is a discussion than should have it's own thread. :
http://www.practicalmachinist.com/v...c-lever-collet-closer-10ee-342590/index2.html

There were only a handful of these machines made. As I understand it, only about 20. Mine is serial number 107 and as far as we can tell, it was the first one to leave the Rivett factory. It was on a Navy contract. We only know of three others that still exist. MIne is on the factory cabinet, but the others we know about are not.

View attachment 214103

Rick

Is this Ian? I have since moved to far eastern Oregon. During the move my Rivett go dumped on its front. Cabinet drawers took the brunt. Only one control touched the floor. It is not broken but is “out of adjustment”. It is at Brett’s awaiting repair.

I have since bought a nicely restored 1946 Monarch 10EE with 2-axis DRO, which is in my new garage/shop.
Monarch 10EE DRO 04-08-17 640.jpg

Last edited:
Yes it is he,the long lost tribe of Rivett owners black sheep.That country over there is one of the most beautiful places on earth and will probably be a welcome relief from the congestion of Portland.Bummer about the cabinet.Love the 10 EES,I use my 43 round dial just about every day,gotta say I really appreciate the extra length and some of the features on the 10x30 F tho.

Back