What's new
What's new

Preci-matic 1440 lathe ...

mantemec

Aluminum
Hi Guys,
I know that this is a monarch forum maybe I am posting this in the wrong area, but does any of you know were a preci-matic lathe is made and if there is a website available for this company out there.
Thanks for any input.

It sure sounds like a generic import 14x40 lathe of a type likely badged a dozen different names. Do an image search for "1440 lathe." See if you can find something that looks the same among the hundreds of pictures you'll get?

And, also, a lathe that may not be discussed much here because it's near the gray area of violating the rules of this forum against discussing cheaper import lathes that edge toward the "hobbyist" category (see the "stickies").

Thanks for the input. I did find out they are sweden. They sale for around $80k a piece which is crazy for a manual lathe

Not much info on these online- one guy says they are from spain, another says germany.
Either way, I am guessing the company is long gone.
Orphan.

Precimat was as ex-GDR brand, if I speed that name correctly. Maybe Präzimat (German spelling).
But the GDR is long gone. But they were low cost lathes for the benchtop.
Page Title Not worth 80k$ Maybe 80000 Italian Lira.

Nick

Nick I think I love your videos about scraping hopefully is the same person. If it is you let me tell you. You got me in trouble. In one of your videos you show a Mahr Protractor. I felt in love with it so I had to order one. My surprise was that they didn't have it in stock so I had to wait for about three weeks. I forgot about it so the supplier call me to because had arrived, I never suspected the punch would be that hard (kind of pricy) they told me accessories where also available, my second surprise, the accessories where more money than the protractor itself. Anyways I love that tool. I think is the nicest tool i have, so I though you might think the history was worth telling, so Thank you for getting me in trouble.

About the lathe, I guy I know owns the lathe. I will take pictures soon and post them on PM. He said that when it was all said and done he had invested about 80K. Thanks for the explanation anyways. He also had a brochure to give me then we will figure out what is going on. I still can find any info. He said they are still in business. Thanks you.

Preci-Matic Origin

Hi Guys,
I know that this is a monarch forum maybe I am posting this in the wrong area, but does any of you know were a preci-matic lathe is made and if there is a website available for this company out there.
Thanks for any input.

The Preci-Matic brand was manufactured on the Isle of Man - from the early 1960's - 1982. Hope that helps.

My dad bought a 14 in Preci-Matic lathe in the mid 60's, brand new. He started with that and a new Kondia mill (like bridgeport). Company has grown, we now have 12 employees and 6 CNC's along with at least 20 manual milling machines and lathes. The Kondia and the Preci-Matic lathe are still being used everyday! Kondia also has a Preci-Matic tag on it.
From what I understood, they were made in Sweden and assembled in Spain, then imported into the USA under some Spain-USA treaty.

Back