What's new
What's new

Questions about a CW 16 I just looked at

mike.thomas1

Aluminum
So for giggles I went to look at a 1936 CW 16 lathe. Decent looking machine but I have some question about a couple issues that I encountered. The right most gear select lever at first kept me in gear as I went through the speeds. As I operated it a bit more I found I had to push it right/towards the tailstock beyond the detent. Not wanting to open the headstock on the day I just noted it. Is there something that can be adjusted or is there something worn on a shift fork? Second issue I encountered was the feed/lead selection lever did not want to stay in its positions as he used a large rubber o-ring. Whats strange is that there is no detent designed into the selector, but i notice them in later machines. The machine could probably had for a song as it would be bundled with a index milling machine. What should I consider at fault, or should i just pass on this big ol beast?

Gear shift detents are adjustable, the factory did this to allow adjustment after assembly.
On older machines (not often) we have actually offset the detent a little to get the unit to hold its shifters in lock at all speeds. But only after pulling top cover to make sure there was nothing amiss in the gear pack.
On the feed/lead it should stay where shifted on its own, you may need to check that out, however if it is working that's great as it is most likely some thing simple.
These Monarchs are great machines that when taken care of would easily out live the original purchaser.
Just the other day I seen a Monarch being operated by the 59 year old grandson of the original purchaser.

My fall '46 CW does the same on the right most. I made a Mahogany wedge to shove it over

So for giggles I went to look at a 1936 CW 16 lathe. Decent looking machine but I have some question about a couple issues that I encountered. The right most gear select lever at first kept me in gear as I went through the speeds. As I operated it a bit more I found I had to push it right/towards the tailstock beyond the detent. Not wanting to open the headstock on the day I just noted it. Is there something that can be adjusted or is there something worn on a shift fork? Second issue I encountered was the feed/lead selection lever did not want to stay in its positions as he used a large rubber o-ring. Whats strange is that there is no detent designed into the selector, but i notice them in later machines. The machine could probably had for a song as it would be bundled with a index milling machine. What should I consider at fault, or should i just pass on this big ol beast?

Back