What's new
What's new

Rear dovetail for cross slide

Flightmap

Plastic
I am considering milling a rear dovetail for my cross slide. It would be for a rear mount tool post. Has anyone made their own dovetail? I would like it to be the same as Monarch originally produced as I MIGHT find a ball turner or other attachment.

I have also also heard that if you have a taper attachment (TA), that the dove tail on the cross slide won't work. With the information I have, this may not be true as it appears that a surface mount dovetail would work without interference with the taper attachment. Any comments?

if anyone has made this addition to their cross slide I would really like to know their experiences.

Ken

I have not done this or seen someone do this but I have seen a factory one and they protrude above. So they aren't just milled into the cross slide. You'd have to drill and tap and make some ways to put on to be like the original ones. Also the one I've seen with the dovetail has a taper attachment. So I don't see why they'd provide an attachment that wouldn't work? So I assume it works with it.
(Im unsure exactly what your going to do with your cross slide, if you want to mill it, add onto it, etc. so sorry if I'm off didn't get much sleep:ack2:)

100 years ago, Lodge & Shipley would sell you one that just hooked on - you could use it or take it off and put it on the bench

Attachments

• hook on rear CS.jpg
    hook on rear CS.jpg
    97.3 KB · Views: 146
(Im unsure exactly what your going to do with your cross slide, if you want to mill it, add onto it, etc. so sorry if I'm off didn't get much sleep:ack2:)[/QUOTE]

No worries. I really appreciate your time and effort to educate.

Right now, I think I will just mill a plate an screw it on. Still thnking

Before I embark on this project, does anyone have a cross slide with the dovetail milled into it that is available? Thinking of someone who is parting out a lathe. I don't think it matters, but my lathe (and cross slide) is a square dial 1963.

Of all the pictures that I have seen (not many) it was bolted on not machined in the cross slide.

Of all the pictures that I have seen (not many) it was bolted on not machined in the cross slide.

It's an integral part of the casting. I could post photos if you like, I recently got one from eBay and am considering fitting it. I'd still have to find or make the rear tool mount but it's really just a big lump of cast iron for the most part.

It's an integral part of the casting. I could post photos if you like, I recently got one from eBay and am considering fitting it. I'd still have to find or make the rear tool mount but it's really just a big lump of cast iron for the most part.

Not the best shot, but what I could find in my library at the moment. If I can remember, I'll take some better ones when I go back to the shop. For the record, it is integral to the cross slide.

monarch-10ee-dovetail-slide.jpg

Back