What's new
What's new

Recommended bearing locknut spanner for '67 10EE

rklopp

Diamond
My '67 modular 10EE has always given a little spiral pattern on finely finished parts. I think it might be caused by a bearing locknut that is not all the way tight. What is the recommended spanner for tightening that nut? I peaked in the headstock yesterday, and it seems like pretty tight quarters. The headstock is is the version that has a single oil sightglass.

I chucked a long bar and put a tenths indicator on the spindle nose. I can get about 0.0003" movement that does not spring back under moderate hand force.

rklopp;3071821 What is the recommended spanner for tightening that nut? [/QUOTE said:
When I need a tool that isn't common, I make it

These pin style hook spanners were sawed out, drilled and provided with a pin

Attachments

• P1000644sm.jpg
    P1000644sm.jpg
    93.4 KB · Views: 132
I cut one out of 1/4" plate, could mail it if you'll cover costs and mail it back. I used it on my '56 but I would expect the nut to be the same.

A tapered punch also works well for this job. Most of the machines I have opened up have some evidence of that having been done in the past. It is not as if you will be pounding on the punch with a 5 lb. sledge... But you might want to grind the tip of the punch so that it is a good fit.

Dave
I am going to avoid punching if at all possible. There's too much chance of shedding metal into the works, and other risky outcomes.
Regards,
RKlopp

Dave
I am going to avoid punching if at all possible. There's too much chance of shedding metal into the works, and other risky outcomes.
Regards,
RKlopp

Pin spanners can lead to problems too. As can bending and rebending the lockwasher tabs. You can minimize the danger of shedding metal into the works by grinding the tip of the punch with a radius at a slight angle, so that it bears on the pin hole inside the hole.

Back