What's new
What's new

Reliance motor update, new bearing question

bll230

Hot Rolled
I confirmed the wiring on my Reliance 3 HP motor was correct. The shunt and series field polarity should be the same, and from researching interpoles I found out that the interpole polarity should be the same as the preceding field in a motor application. (apparently for a generator application the interpole polarity is the same as the following field) Since the interpoles reverse with the armature, the interpole polarity reverses when the rotation reverses so that their polarity is the same as the preceding field in both directions.

Now a bearing question. Can someone confirm that the original motor bearings were open? The bearings on mine were shielded, so I replaced them with identical shielded. As I was cleaning out all the unusable grease out of the grease pocket in the rear cap, and thinking that a grease fitting does nothing for a shielded bearing, I concluded the rear bearing was originally open so that grease from the fitting could actually get to the bearing. Then it occurred to me that the front bearing should probably be unshielded as well.

The front bearing is exposed to the gearbox oil, there is a very large return passage for oil on the back side of the bearing, and the portion of the armature behind the bearing is called the oil shield in the 1942 manual. All these tell me that Monarch wanted the bearing to be exposed to oil and that oil is always flowing through the bearing to the return passage.

I confirmed the wiring on my Reliance 3 HP motor was correct. The shunt and series field polarity should be the same, and from researching interpoles I found out that the interpole polarity should be the same as the preceding field in a motor application. (apparently for a generator application the interpole polarity is the same as the following field) Since the interpoles reverse with the armature, the interpole polarity reverses when the rotation reverses so that their polarity is the same as the preceding field in both directions.

Now a bearing question. Can someone confirm that the original motor bearings were open? The bearings on mine were shielded, so I replaced them with identical shielded. As I was cleaning out all the unusable grease out of the grease pocket in the rear cap, and thinking that a grease fitting does nothing for a shielded bearing, I concluded the rear bearing was originally open so that grease from the fitting could actually get to the bearing. Then it occurred to me that the front bearing should probably be unshielded as well.

The front bearing is exposed to the gearbox oil, there is a very large return passage for oil on the back side of the bearing, and the portion of the armature behind the bearing is called the oil shield in the 1942 manual. All these tell me that Monarch wanted the bearing to be exposed to oil and that oil is always flowing through the bearing to the return passage.

Original were indeed open as-at 1942, anyway.

AFAIK, Monarch had shifted to the 'small frame' 3 HP, with its bearing numbers right on the data plate, then the 5 HP before changing that, so the older 3 HP probably left the product line before being factory migrated to sealed bearings.

Many shops and now PM'ers have made that change, since, though, both ends, so it is known to work, and the gearbox need not share its oil.

An inquiry to Monarch Lathe LP should confirm that, and what bearings they now offer.

Back