What's new
What's new

Removal of spindle bearings from 10EE shaft

Earl Sigurd

Aluminum
As per title, this is not about the removal of the entire spindle with it's bearing's etc but taking off the front end bearings from the spindle.

It would appear that you have to use the front outside bearing retainer to push off the bearing stack, which places the force on the bearings to damage them.

Comments.

It would appear that you have to use the front outside bearing retainer to push off the bearing stack, which places the force on the bearings to damage them.

Comments.

Not the only way to remove them.

But why would one care?

They are coming off because they were already discovered to need to be replaced.

Any potential re-use or re-purposing of still-not-TERRIBLE bearings removed is not really a 10EE issue.

Yes, one would agree that removing a knackerd bearing set, who gives a care what happens.

To be more specific:

This is a CVA lathe, made in UK, similar to EE apart from drive.

The headstock bearings are non flanged so easier to source, still pricey at Abec9 or P2.

I have acquired 2 sets of bearings(on the cheap), different preloads.

With trial and error, I wish to use these, but will have to use the documented spacer change length to achieve the recommended preload.

This is why I would consider removing good bearings from spindle.

This is why I would consider removing good bearings from spindle.

As said, there is more than one way. You'll have to do a bit of fab work to be able to work the ID race that grips the shaft instead of applying force to the outers and stressing the rolling-elements and their raceways in-between.

I do have a "spare" spindle, sitting loose - a "production" 10EE version without the splines - but I can't use it to grok the needfuls, as the bearings were recovered from it already by the PO when he did the swap and part-out to convert his machine back to full "toolroom" functionality with threading.

ISTR what you need to more safely remove and re-install the bearings is already covered in a prior PM post, though.

I'm sure we'd be delighted with progress reports.

The CVA is a seriously rare lathe, and - even beyond the drive - perhaps not as identical as first appears to a 10EE.

Back