What's new
What's new

Removing cross slide from 1960 10ee

Jerod

Aluminum
Hi there, I have a 1960 square dial 10EE which I am cleaning up and preparing for service. I would like to remove the cross slide and clean the gunk out from under it. How do I get this off? I have the taper attachment also if that matters. I've read some previous posts but they were about removing the taper attachment and I couldn't find anything specifically on the cross slide removal process. It appears that is can be removed from the back?

Nobody has replied to your post, which is surprising. It has been along time since I pulled mine apart. So I think this will help, pull the front cover off the crosslide, undo the 2 bolts holding on the crosslide dial, hand lever, this should pull away. Unscrew the front and real tapered gib screw that were under the front cover and pull out the gib, unscrew and remove the socket bolt and slotted screw on the top of the crosslide. It would also be a good idea to remove the compound. You should now be able to slide the crosslide to the front and off......I think.

Hi there, I have a 1960 square dial 10EE which I am cleaning up and preparing for service. I would like to remove the cross slide and clean the gunk out from under it. How do I get this off? I have the taper attachment also if that matters. I've read some previous posts but they were about removing the taper attachment and I couldn't find anything specifically on the cross slide removal process. It appears that is can be removed from the back?
I've posted instructions about it somewhere. Here's a thread that deals with it, as well as apron removal:
It's an extremely good idea to pull the carriage and apron to clean and inspect things. The feed worm gear cavity is frequently full of swarf and it's impossible to inspect/clean with the apron on the machine.

Here's a link to one of my Photobucket albums with cross-slide disassembly photos. The comments on each photo give you instructions about step involved. Hopefully, Photobucket hasn't messed up the sort order of the album AGAIN.
Holler if you have questions.

Cal

Here's a link to one of my Photobucket albums with cross-slide disassembly photos. The comments on each photo give you instructions about step involved. Hopefully, Photobucket hasn't messed up the sort order of the album AGAIN.

Cal, I am in your debt again! I am right at the point in my Basket Case square dial assembly where I need to know how to assemble the cross slide and taper attachment. When I saw Jerod's question, I figured that someone would post some good clues, but your photos and captions far surpass what I had hoped for. Thank you!

I am missing the bridge block on the taper attachment, the rectangular cover at the rear of the cross slide, as well as the bolt on top of the bridge and the retaining ring for the taper attachment's "shoe". Fortunately, they are relatively easy to make if I cannot find replacements. As far as I can tell, they are the only remaining parts I don't have (other than the complete drive system).

Alan​

Before you spend a lot of time making parts (as satisfying as that can be) give Monarch a call and see if they've got some decent used parts. I've found that their idea of decent used is close to my idea of new, and the price was quite reasonable.

If you do make parts I recall that the bolt on the bridge is available from someone on this list on eBay, I recall he made a few and still has some spare.

If you do make parts I recall that the bolt on the bridge is available from someone on this list on eBay, I recall he made a few and still has some spare.

Thanks, I just looked for it on eBay and ordered one ($20). Just for reference, he refers to it as "Monarch 10ee lathe repro. taper attachment binder bolt".

I'll contact Monarch about the others, but my threshold for the make versus buy decision is pretty low. :)

Alan

Holler if you have questions.

Cal

Sorry to call you back on this thread, I'm removing the cross slide on my monarch 1966 no taper attachment but... everything is out, the lead screw, the nut, the dial but the damn thing doesn't slide out! :willy_nilly: did I miss something, a screw... the gibs are also stock in I can't pull them out Thanks for your help.

Sorry to call you back on this thread, I'm removing the cross slide on my monarch 1966 no taper attachment but... everything is out, the lead screw, the nut, the dial but the damn thing doesn't slide out! :willy_nilly: did I miss something, a screw... the gibs are also stock in I can't pull them out Thanks for your help.

There is a screw on either end of the gib that needs to be removed:
IMG_0772.jpg
(Note that the dust plate on this machine is in backwards. The beveled end goes to the back.)

Use a brass drift to tap on the back end of the gib to free it. It comes out the front:
IMG_0774.jpg

The screwdriver in this photo is pointing to a setscrew that controls the movement of the dust plate. You need to either remove it or drive it down flush with the top of the saddle to allow the cross-slide to move past it. Once that's done, the cross-slide should come off the front of the machine.
IMG_0777.jpg

Cal

There is a screw on either end of the gib that needs to be removed:
View attachment 209984
(Note that the dust plate on this machine is in backwards. The beveled end goes to the back.)

Use a brass drift to tap on the back end of the gib to free it. It comes out the front:
View attachment 209985

The screwdriver in this photo is pointing to a setscrew that controls the movement of the dust plate. You need to either remove it or drive it down flush with the top of the saddle to allow the cross-slide to move past it. Once that's done, the cross-slide should come off the front of the machine.
View attachment 209986

Cal

THANKS !!!

THIS LITTLE SET-SCREW... man! This thing was DIR-TY! An ocean of grease mixte with rust!

Thank you so much for your quick reply Cal I'll sleep better tonight cause of you!

Back