What's new
What's new

Rivett 1020F Brake coil help needed

Gary Puls

Plastic
Hi all,
We have a really nice Rivett 1020F lathe we are getting back into service. It uses a Stearns brake on the motor for spindle braking. The coil windings are open, Stearns says they have no info on that brake and cannot help.

I know this is the 10EE forum, but I am hoping someone can chime in and recommend a source or idea to get our braking back in action. Picture of coil is attached.

Thank you in advance,
Gary

Attachments

• IMG_4198.jpg
    IMG_4198.jpg
    94.4 KB · Views: 175
Hi all,
We have a really nice Rivett 1020F lathe we are getting back into service. It uses a Stearns brake on the motor for spindle braking. The coil windings are open, Stearns says they have no info on that brake and cannot help.

I know this is the 10EE forum, but I am hoping someone can chime in and recommend a source or idea to get our braking back in action. Picture of coil is attached.

Thank you in advance,
Gary

Does that one move like the one on a LeBlond Regal? If so I would inspect the leads right where they go into the coil. If nothing else I'm sure someone here will wind you a new one, or you could wind one yourself, it's not rocket science.

Gary,

That looks like the solenoid for the brake, is that correct ?

If you haven't seen, there's a parts diagram for the Stearns in the online manual stored at VintageMachinery.org

(page 47)

http://vintagemachinery.org/pubs/2379/4491.pdf

Are you looking for a new solenoid ?

I do have a working Stearns brake on my 1020F.

Welcome to the forum, this is the correct form for the 1020F. :)

I did a quick google on "Stearns solenoid 6-1-52206" and got this hit:

Stearns Brakes 512564 SOL ASSY-#6 AC-SPEC,PLATT, Solenoid Kit Replacement Part

Here's a place that sells coils for Stearns brakes:

Stearns Brakes - Electric Motor Warehouse

Solenoid Kits:

Genuine Stearns Brakes Parts - Solenoid Kits - Electric Motor Warehouse

As moonlight suggested, you could get the one you have rewound also.

Cheers,
Alan

Alan,
Thank you for the help! Yes, it is the brake solenoid.
I already have been into the manual and the vendor below is not able to help so far. I will give them that number and see what they can do..

This is a great resource, I own a 10EE and used to be on here a bit as I got that one up and running.
Thanks again Gary

Gary,

That looks like the solenoid for the brake, is that correct ?

If you haven't seen, there's a parts diagram for the Stearns in the online manual stored at VintageMachinery.org

(page 47)

http://vintagemachinery.org/pubs/2379/4491.pdf

Are you looking for a new solenoid ?

I do have a working Stearns brake on my 1020F.

Welcome to the forum, this is the correct form for the 1020F. :)

I did a quick google on "Stearns solenoid 6-1-52206" and got this hit:

Stearns Brakes 512564 SOL ASSY-#6 AC-SPEC,PLATT, Solenoid Kit Replacement Part

Here's a place that sells coils for Stearns brakes:

Stearns Brakes - Electric Motor Warehouse

Solenoid Kits:

Genuine Stearns Brakes Parts - Solenoid Kits - Electric Motor Warehouse

As moonlight suggested, you could get the one you have rewound also.

Cheers,
Alan

This is a great resource, I own a 10EE and used to be on here a bit as I got that one up and running.

The Rivett 1020/1030 is also welcome in this forum, so you should be right at home here! ;)

There are a number of Rivett owners in this forum.

You might try googling for the part number on ebay, or other, you might find a used one. I did that with one of the transformers in my machine, as the previous owner had raped it and ran 480v into the machine and ran a separate 120v line...I was able to find almost the same transformer.

Stearns is still in business, are they telling you that they don't provide the part anymore ? If so, you might be forced to rewind the old one, but at least you have it. Aside from that in that case, ebay might be the best option.

Cheers,
Alan

PS - no pics, didn't happen, 'dems the rules on the inet...;)

I know this is the 10EE forum, but I am hoping someone can chime in and recommend a source or idea to get our braking back in action.

The coil can be wound with new wire. There are various ways to estimate the number of turns after you measure the gauge of the existing wire. The number of turns do not have to be exactly the same as the original, just close.

Last time I did one was mounting a form on the shaft of a three phase motor powered by a VFD and foot pedal. I built a circuit to count the number of revolutions with a slotted optical switch.

The Rivett 1020/1030 is also welcome in this forum, so you should be right at home here! ;)

There are a number of Rivett owners in this forum.

You might try googling for the part number on ebay, or other, you might find a used one. I did that with one of the transformers in my machine, as the previous owner had raped it and ran 480v into the machine and ran a separate 120v line...I was able to find almost the same transformer.

Stearns is still in business, are they telling you that they don't provide the part anymore ? If so, you might be forced to rewind the old one, but at least you have it. Aside from that in that case, ebay might be the best option.

Cheers,
Alan

PS - no pics, didn't happen, 'dems the rules on the inet...;)

I wind coils regularly. That should be no problem, especially if I can measure the size of the wire and someone with a good coil can give me a resistance reading.

Bill

I wind coils regularly. That should be no problem, especially if I can measure the size of the wire and someone with a good coil can give me a resistance reading.

I wish I could help you, since I have a working one, but in order for me to get to the back of the machine would mean moving quite a bit of tooling AND material to be able to jack up the machine to get on skates to move away from the wall...It may happen in a month or two, but I couldn't commit to doing it at the moment...hopefully someone else has one. It probably needs to be an F rather than the S, since the earlier ones used the Dings brake.

IMO, there were more S models than F models, but there are a number of Fs on this forum. I'll keep you posted if I do get the lathe moved out from against the wall, and if so would be glad to get a resistance reading for you.

The resistance reading is not absolutely necessary. If you know the wire size and wind about the same density, it will be close enough. If it varies a few percent, it will still work fine. In a transformer the number of turns are important but I have wound lots of field coils and ancient selsyns with charred windings and no specs.

I have a computer controlled coil winder that will probably wind as dense or denser than the original.

Bill

The resistance reading is not absolutely necessary. If you know the wire size and wind about the same density, it will be close enough. If it varies a few percent, it will still work fine. In a transformer the number of turns are important but I have wound lots of field coils and ancient selsyns with charred windings and no specs.

I have a computer controlled coil winder that will probably wind as dense or denser than the original.

Bill

Sounds like that would work out nicely for the OP. :)

The drive for my 1030F is sitting on a workbench right now. If the OP needs it, I can measure the resistance across the coil sometime next week.

I'm replacing my machine's drive with a VFD. When the project is done I wouldn't be averse to selling some of the surplus hardware such as the motor/brake assembly.

Try "sterns brake coil" on ebay - 95 hits with many that look like yours. For some reason there are many Dings and Stearns motor brake items on ebay always.

I have a 1020s and found an original equipment nos Dings brake for my lathe for $100 that fits the 5hp US Motors package reeves drive that the later 1020s had, not sure about the 1020f drive though. I might recommend trying to find a complete nos brake to replace everything as these do wear over time. I can probably dig up the Dings PN if it would retrofit to your drive if it is US Motors type.

Good morning to all that have offered help. I think I found the correct one on eBay, it is in route to me. Stearns was of zero help, even with a part number out of the catalog!
Anyways I think we are good I will repost if plan B needs to be executed!
Gary

You should be able to buy that coil. I have a 1020s and I bought a brake disc from Fife Pierce in detroit. I dont know if your rivett uses same brake brand than mine but that company still in bussiness and Roger the owner of Fife Pierce can help you with it. 1 313-369-2560.

Back