What's new
What's new

Rivett 1020S Headstock Oil Viscosity

tailstock4

Cast Iron
I have a Rivett 1020S that I have finished refurbishing and am at the point to refill the headstock oil. I know that the Rivett manuals says to use SAE 40 which is ISO 150. But after looking at the part break down of the 1020F, it has a different spindle bearing arrangement with two angular contacts in front and two ball bearings in the rear. I could not tell from the drawing how these two bearings were lubricated with the oil. In other words, how oil gets in and out. Not having a 1020F, I wondered if it is possible that any of the 1020F's used grease to lube these bearings allowing 40 WT oil to lube just the headstock gears and bearings minus the spindle.

The reason I wondered is that 40 WT oil in a spindle turning up to 3,500 rpm seems more than a little heavy. So if F model had greased bearings, could the S model have used lighter oil? Just wondering.

I have a Rivett 1020S that I have finished refurbishing and am at the point to refill the headstock oil. I know that the Rivett manuals says to use SAE 40 which is ISO 150. But after looking at the part break down of the 1020F, it has a different spindle bearing arrangement with two angular contacts in front and two ball bearings in the rear. I could not tell from the drawing how these two bearings were lubricated with the oil. In other words, how oil gets in and out. Not having a 1020F, I wondered if it is possible that any of the 1020F's used grease to lube these bearings allowing 40 WT oil to lube just the headstock gears and bearings minus the spindle.

The reason I wondered is that 40 WT oil in a spindle turning up to 3,500 rpm seems more than a little heavy. So if F model had greased bearings, could the S model have used lighter oil? Just wondering.
ISO 150 seems to me to be an awfully high viscosity oil for a spindle. Monarch 10EEs, which have 4000 RPM spindles, use ISO 32 oil for the spindle bearings. None of my machines need oil any heavier that ISO 100.

Cal

Going from memory here, the spindle bearings in my 1030F are splash lubricated; when the headstock is properly filled, the bearings are partially submerged in oil.

Back