What's new
What's new

scrapping a Monarch in the NYC area

cyanidekid

Titanium
hi all, I found out yesterday that a school friend of a friend who is a real-estate developer has to clear out a place in the area, and a Monarch AA (1930?) with a 10' bed is going to the scrapper monday. I will go-see tomorrow, but it IS inside, and that's about all I know so far...

basically, it is available for scrap and haulage.

If time does not allow to machine to be removed what about getting all the handwheels, knobs, tailstock, tooling & etc? Or maybe the scrapper might remove it and sell it all intact rather than send it to be melted?

well, just got back.

IMG_5945.jpg

I think its a model AA, late '20s? it measures 10" from bed to center (AA 18?),
the bed (ways) are about 9'

here are the 3 most important facts;
> there is no discernible longitudinal wear ridge (fingernail test) on the ways
> there is .003-.004" of backlash on the cross-slide screw. yes, 3 thou!!
> missing tailstock. looked for an hour, I'll bet it's in there somewhere.

this is a TIGHT unit, it is unbelievable how little wear is on it. it has plenty of nicks and bangs for sure, but it really would be too bad if the mooks with the 12lb sledges go to work on it Monday.

its in an easy access garage right off the street, there is a 3000 lb fork truck, (dead batt), but, that's not gonna pick it up.. how heavy is it? i'm thinking around 6000?

can we save it?

I think its a model AA, late '20s?

Whenever the clutch lever was on the face of the head stock:)

It does not have covers over spindle bearings, so does not have plain berings

May indeed still have threaded spindle nose, though for awhile Monarch had their own rather plain flanged spindle nose you bolted stuff to.

Approximately similar vintage scan (1930) - thanks to John Legge for scanning and Greg Menke for hosting

http://pounceatron.dreamhosters.com/docs/monarch/monarch-modelc-setup-bulletin-127-1930.pdf

it's Timkenized! (Monarch sales speak for tapered roller bearings made by Timken, see the sales brochure John posted)

it's a beauty in the rough, hate to see it busted up... anyone in New Jersey with room in their shop? NY? PA?

the scrapper is coming tomorrow, and the guy would need to get scrap $ which is what, 400? and it needs to move ASAP, rigging and transport your deal also. can you do it?

Monarch AA Saved

Im good with that, can you email me any pics, location , contact name/number that would be great!
Bruce, [email protected]

Were you able to save it and if so I was wondering if you were parting it out or restoring. I'm looking for the square shaft clutch/brake actuating parts seen on the front of this machine. Thanks

Back