What's new
What's new

Seeking - Stop Lever, Stop Block, and Stop Bushings

Zahnrad Kopf

Diamond
Greetings All,

While cleaning up parts, I discovered some inconsistencies with my Stop Lever. After some reading and examination, I believe what I have is incomplete and modified to boot, And so will want to replace it and the missing parts.

In my manual ( '42 Round Dial ) they are parts E-14, 47, 48, 62, & 63. The Stop Block, Stop bushing, Stop Bushing ( same ), and Stop Lever.

First, my lever and "bushing" are on the left of the carriage, which I believe to be incorrect if I am understanding the bushing's operation. As well, I believe my lever and bushing have been modified and no longer function as intended. This can be remedied with some work or the purchase of replacements, but I am also missing completely the opposite side's Stop Block and Stop Bushing.

All of these parts are easily made if one gives little to no regard for the original's aesthetics. They can be made simply enough from round stock and function all the same. The problem lies in the fact that I like the look of the originals... ;) :cool:

So, before I cut the handle off my old one in effort to silver braze it onto a new one, does anyone have these parts that they might part with?

Also, in the case that I make them, can anyone tell me what size the real ones are threaded?

Is my understanding of them correct in that they function with the feed rod to affect a spindle stop ( eventually ) for use with threading and feeding up to a shoulder, or what have you?

Thanks.

Zahnrad, it would probably help get a response if you provided more info, like a photo of the diagram. Otherwise people are unllkely to know that you are talking about the ELSR attachment for a Round Dial, which is not a part found on all or even a majority of round dials. I had one on my '43, several years ago, and the lever you are asking about was on the left, but there was another lever on the right, slightly different.

Thank you, Rimcanyon. I am still trying to wade my way through all my ignorance and learn on the fly.

Here you go -

2059EBB4-974E-46B0-88E3-5052D946E6E1_zpsigltwsqq.jpg

274E1DEC-B44D-400D-9F75-90C96C5FA12B_zpsrfb6cuq8.jpg

C844977C-3199-448B-A46A-AAF67432F1DF_zpsmlrkndrs.jpg

So, obviously someone made that "bushing" that I have. The problem with it is that they added the length after it bearing the slot because they also over drilled the lever's bore. Clearly, they hadn't really thought it through, and doing so actually prevents the bushing from being adjusted because the key keeps the extension ( and hence, the screw ) from rotating.

I split them today, so the bushing now functions properly. Also knurled it while I was there. It will suffice for now, bit I would still like to get the other side's parts and probably a replacement lever, too.

ZK,

I suspect that you already know this, but for others who are not familiar with the system, here's a quick description. First, this has nothing to do with the feed rod. There's a nut in the cast bracket on the right end of the bed that moves the control rod left or right when the handle on the rod is raised or lowered. Lateral (or rotary, I forget) movement of the rod operates micro switches in the casting on the front of the headstock which control power to the coils on the forward and reverse contactors, and hence, turns to spindle on or off. The handle (E14-62) is supposed to be to the right of the carriage and can be moved back and forth on the rod as the setup dictates. The threaded sleeve (E14-63) is an adjustable stop for rightward carriage motion. When the carriage moves right into the sleeve, it pushed the control rod right (which causes the rod to rogate) and causes the micro switches to stop the spindle. Similarly, when the carriage moves left into the movable stop comprised of E14-47 & 48, it shuts of the spindle.

Parts 43, 44 &45 and 58, 59 & 60 are lock screws; they are similar to the one that locks the outboard ring of the cross-feed dial. The outboard screws lock the movable stops in place, the inboard ones lock the adjustable collars.

It's very rare to find a round-dial ELSR that is still working and in its original configuration. I can't find an example of one in my photo archive that has the adjuster screws with the toggle handle. It may be that they switched to a knurled screw, instead of the version with the toggle handle.

Cal

Cal, Thanks for that. The only two things I will add are that it is technically both lateral ( axial ) and rotary motion conveyed as there is a follower on the feed rod that engages a cam ( E14-52 worm ) in the end housing ( E14-53 Nut Bracket ). So, when one "lifts" the lever, it is forced to both rotate and travel along its axis, engaging one of the switches. More betterer clearerer? :)

Also, I had not actually seen the toggle screws until looking in the manual. All the actual pictures I have seen thus far ( admittedly much less than you guys ) have shown knurled wide head screws. I believe I will make my own to use knurled screws as well. It just seems more handy.

What I meant was that I don't recall if it's the linear or rotary motion of the end of the control rod that actually operates the cams that actuate the micro switches.

Cal

Back