What's new
What's new

Shall I rescue this Monarch 16"CY from being scrapped?

alimj

Plastic
Hi everyone.

While browsing used tools & machines ads, I found an ad for a Monarch lathe (see photos). I am not a machinist, but I have been watching Adam Booth's videos for a while. Therefore, I assume it to be most probably a good lathe. Monarch lathes are very rare in my country and not well-known.

9bca6143b5cbdf84c70b3367a1e2629c.jpg fsIGWrdzk.jpg

This lathe was listed for the equivalent of $1000. I called the owner and he claimed it to be functional. He is selling the lathe since he needs space for his new CNC. I visited his workshop yesterday. The lathes works (at last at low speed). It made some strange noises at higher RPM. The lathe shows some signs of wear and tear, but very little on the bed rails. It is equipped with a 4 jaw chuck. He has moved the lathe to open area since my visit.

DSC_0055.jpg

If I buy the lathe, I will have to pay approx. $150-200 to move it to my friend's warehouse for temporal storage. Or I have to rent a workshop. I always wanted to get into machining and buying a lathe & a mill. At this price, I could only afford much smaller cheap Chinese imports. Domestic lathes & well reputed brands are too expensive. If I want to repair/restore this lathe, I will have to depend on ordering parts to be custom made locally. I am ready to spend another $1000 on top that price to restore this lathe. I highly appreciate if you could advise.

Wish you a very Merry Christmas and happy holidays.

Hello Alimj :)

Welcome to PM ... :cheers:

I am not an expert on Monarch lathes, by any means, but I would buy that in a heartbeat, if it were near me.

But first, I would ask the owner if you can pop the top cover off the head stock to examine the gears.

Cheers... :)

Brian

Thanks Brian.

Just one more note. Here is a shaky crappy vertical video of the lathe which shows almost nothing

Hello again Alimj :)

I am certain that the knowledgeable Monarch lathe owners on this site will chime in with their opinions of your lathe. I'll admit, that there isn't a lot of information to advise you so far, but I really like what I see. If you have to store the lathe for a period of time, make sure that it is well oiled and greased before putting it to bed.

Good luck with your decision ... :)

Brian

Great lathe

Hello Alimj

Welcome to the Monarch forum. About 12 years ago I bought a Monarch 14CK after owning 2 'toy lathes'.
It was worn and not in great shape but it did better work than anything I had ever used. I used it to rebuild a Monarch 10EE and then about 3 years ago I rebuilt it.
Pull the cover and give it a spin by hand and look for broken teeth on the gears. If they look good, buy it. Everything else can be found or made. My 14CK is the most versatile machine tool I own.

Al

Back