What's new
What's new

Source for handles for 12" CK

cj7jeep81

Aluminum
Well, one of the handles for my 12" CK finally broke last night, right where a previous owner had attempted to weld it back together. I have all the pieces, and will see if I can tig it back together, but not sure I have the ability. I do have a tig welder capable of the job, and will get soem silicone bronze rod, but this probably isn't the best project for me to learn to tig weld on :) Also have a vertical and horizontal mill, and more experience than tig, but still very green there as well.

Was going to email Monarch, but realized I don't have a good picture with the serial number on it, so will do that this weekend, although I'm guessing the price will be more than I want to spend. Anyone happen to have any from a scrapped machine?

Attachments

• 20180315_220556.jpg
    20180315_220556.jpg
    90.8 KB · Views: 122
I am also not a welder but own a welder, and I would also probably hold off on that. Maybe bring it to see what it costs to fix, almost certainly cheaper than monarch

Everybody else uses Brazing to repair them.

Unfortunately I don't have an oxy/acetylyne setup, so no brazing for me. I plan on using aluminum bronze or silicone bronze filler wire, so more of a tig brazing then welding I suppose.

Made good progress on machining a new handle, but have a question. It looks like a previous owner repaired the knobs the handles engage. Anyone know if these are in the stock location? It doesn't look like it to me, but not sure. The far left one looks to be welded on, which is wonderful

Attachments

• 20180324_153855.jpg
    20180324_153855.jpg
    98.4 KB · Views: 78

Back