What's new
What's new

Source for a pin spanner for the Monarch 10ee cross feed handle.

bsg

Titanium
Anyone have a source for a pin spanner or socket to remove the screw to get the cross feed handle off?

I did a Google search and come up with a couple different options, just wanted to know what others have used.
I can make the tool, just wanted to know if there is an off the shelf solution.

Thanks for any help.

Kevin

I was not able to find one when working on my 10EE, so I made one.

There are a few different size spanners required, for different "nuts".

I'm sure you could buy them from Monarch ($).

- Leigh

probably have to make one.

What I've done is use some ground dowel pins, 1/8 irrc. clean the holes out, insert the pins and clamp a machinist clamp or even an adjustable wrench. This method is less than ideal in that the pins can move which is not good for the holes (in theory).....however as a practical thing, those caps are put on with so little torque, its not an issue

What I've done is use some ground dowel pins, 1/8 irrc. clean the holes out, insert the pins and clamp a machinist clamp or even an adjustable wrench.
I've done the same, but I don't admit it in polite company.

Fortunately, PM does not qualify as "polite company". :eek: :D

- Leigh

Anyone have a source for a pin spanner or socket to remove the screw to get the cross feed handle off?

I did a Google search and come up with a couple different options, just wanted to know what others have used.
I can make the tool, just wanted to know if there is an off the shelf solution.

Thanks for any help.

Kevin
I've got a Park Tools SPA6 that works for most of the caps, but the cap on the apron feed crank handle is a toughie, due to the recessed hub.
I also have one of these: HF 45820. It works with 2 or 3 hole caps and comes with a variety of pins. I don't recall if I've used it on the 10EE.

Cal

Have all of you forgotten how to take down a bicycle? :-)

Almost any bicycle shop will have a full variety of adjustable pin spanners that are marvelous for all of the flavors that Monarch created.

Lee (the saw guy)

Have all of you forgotten how to take down a bicycle? :-)

Almost any bicycle shop will have a full variety of adjustable pin spanners that are marvelous for all of the flavors that Monarch created.

Lee (the saw guy)
that's where my Park Tools spanner came from...

For lightly torqued pin caps/nuts, you might try a good quality set of snap-ring pliers. The ones with right-angle tips will give straight fits to the pin holes, and even the straight tips can work with a little care. Obviously use caution and common sense on force.

I have a slightly different method. Piece of W1 drill rod, turn & face, then drill on the mill for the centerline distance. Tig weld to a black oxide impact socket. Drop in some more pieces of W1 drill rod to make the pins with white flux. Silver braze, cool and use. Has not failed yet. The biggest problem is the boiling flux wants to pop out the pins. Have to restrain with a piece of flat stock while heating.

A quick and dirty way to make a wrench like Matt describes is to use blind hole spotter punches to mark the pin locations in any convenient chunk of scrap. (This saves having to try to figure out the bolt circle of the pins.) Most of the time a couple of wrench flats is all that you need to turn the tool.

Cal

For lightly torqued pin caps/nuts, you might try a good quality set of snap-ring pliers. The ones with right-angle tips will give straight fits to the pin holes, and even the straight tips can work with a little care. Obviously use caution and common sense on force.

I tried this approach, the screw is just to tight.

I think I will just end up making a special tool to do the job, I will post picture's when I get it done.

Kevin.

Back