What's new
What's new

Spindle removal question

bll230

Hot Rolled
How difficult is it to remove the spindle on the 10EE? I noticed today that my nose plate has been rotated one bolt hole and the weep hole is not at 6 o'clock. Based on this and other clues I think the previous owner removed the spindle to repaint and then installed the nose plate rotated one bolt hole off. I have a little oil weeping down the front of the headstock. Is it worth removing the spindle to put a new nose gasket in and reorient the nose piece, or does the difficulty of removing the spindle indicate I should just live with it?

On a related topic, is there a thread sealant that works if the threaded hole has oil in it?

Who the #### would remove the spindle to paint a machine?

Permatex #2 will seal about anything.

Last edited by a moderator:
You know, that is about the same response a friend with a module 10EE said when I told him. Maybe he wanted to remove the nosepiece for painting. He obviously removed it.

So far I am happy since the spindle bearings are smooth and quiet, the ways are for all practical purposes unworn, and the saddle and apron have very little wear. I'll keep plugging along fixing things as I come to them. However, the question is the same, how difficult is it to remove the spindle?

This 10EE with my experimental DC drive setup at 2000 RPM is quieter than my Heavy 10 at 800 RPM. As I said, so far seems like a good project.

Instead, remove all of the socket head bolts and see if you can revolve the plate.Unfortunately you might be left with the remnants of the old gasket, which would complicate matters. If there is enough room to clean it out, I would make a split gasket, slide in there and position the slit at the top. Removing the spindle although not-that-hard, is fret with potential mistakes if you don't do it correctly, certainly not something to do more than once. :)

Back