What's new
What's new

Still naive on the taper attachment...

mike.thomas1

Aluminum
So I finally made a new T clamping nut for the taper attachment as well as replaced my cross feed nut. I locked the t nut, released the clamping nut in the back, and dialed in my taper. I was under the impression that i would still be able to adjust my cross feed for depth of my cut, but alas it does not move. I completed my taper using the compound for infeed but am I mistaken? Did i miss something here. 1940 round dial fyi.

So I finally made a new T clamping nut for the taper attachment as well as replaced my cross feed nut. I locked the t nut, released the clamping nut in the back, and dialed in my taper. I was under the impression that i would still be able to adjust my cross feed for depth of my cut, but alas it does not move. I completed my taper using the compound for infeed but am I mistaken? Did i miss something here. 1940 round dial fyi.
No you do not lock the cross slide nut you will not be able to adjust the cross slide.

No, not all TA's require the disconnect of the cross feed nut. My SB 10K does and the compound must be used to adjust the depth of cut, but larger, more expensive and modern lathes use a differential cross feed screw which allow both the TA and the cross feed to used together.

Here are the related Monarch images - telescoping screw and slotted steel draw bar - allowing you to bypass screw and provide a solid steel link from T/A to cross slide

Attachments

• Monarch TA Parts.jpg
    Monarch TA Parts.jpg
    95.1 KB · Views: 129
  • Monarch TA.jpg
    Monarch TA.jpg
    82.8 KB · Views: 148
The 10EE has a crosslide locking bolt, 3/8 bolt just in front of the compound. This locks the feedscrew to the crosslide. It can be used then doing a taper or not, it does take any backlash out of the screw/nut connection.

For best tapers cut external from big to small diameter, and internal from small to big

Back