What's new
What's new

Strange 10EE Serial

Fal Grunt

Titanium
I read through the threads on serial numbers, this one must be a flier. I don't have a good picture as the tag was hard to read.

As best I can make it out

MFGR'S NO 17702

DATE BUILT 10-1943

Any experts want to weigh in?

I'll be calling Steve (Monarch) Monday.

Seems about right. My late '42 machine is No 16353

67941d1358981889-new-10ee-owner-us-machine-uk-monarchserialno.jpg

I read through the threads on serial numbers, this one must be a flier. I don't have a good picture as the tag was hard to read.

As best I can make it out

MFGR'S NO 17702

DATE BUILT 10-1943

Any experts want to weigh in?

I'll be calling Steve (Monarch) Monday.

Not all that odd. 17120 was ordered Dec 1941, didn't ship until September 1942, well AFTER several later-S/N lathes had gone out the door.

But since you are calling.. ask him if Monarch staff can confirm a couple of things:

First .. "As far as I know..." S/N were assigned at time of order INTO production, not at time of completion.

Second ...We already have 'some' evidence that Wartime priorities were juggled, and juggled again.. and again.. such that several 10EE with 'young' S/N shipped months - perhaps years - before others with lower/older S/N that had been ordered earlier shipped.

Were actual machines being side-tracked into a holding area?

Probably not. That would slow-down throughput.

I'd suspect that whatever was in-work well up the line just got grabbed, its production drawing packet pulled and sent back earlier in the line whilst the more needful priorities order's packet was moved to the machine closer to completion.

Bill

Mine is/was 3-43, #19483. So they can be a bit out of whack.
Does anyone know what year produced the most EE's?
There seems to be quite a few 1943's.

IMG_0097_zpsbgrrp4zy.jpg

The reason this one seemed odd, or stuck out to me, I saw a 10EE last night what was 2-43 with a serial of 19xxx, that seems like a HUGE gap in production. Maybe the one pictured was the flier, I don't know.

I will ask your questions, Steve was incredibly helpful the couple times I have called about our 1000EE/13EE.

I'm actually hoping he will let me come by. My in-laws live about 15 min from Sidney, and I'm in Sydney probably every 3 months or so.

The post above, that is the lathe I saw that made me think mine was *odd*.i also noticed, the above is brass, the one I am referring to is aluminum? So somewhere in 43 they switched.

They are cast in all sorts of material. My back-gear plate is cast brass but the threading dial and MONARCH plate is Zamak best we can tell.

When you get into restoring old cars or motorcycles, it doesn't take long to realize that the factory just wanted to get product out the door and was not concerned with collectors establishing authenticity 50 years later. One of the supervisors for Jaguar said that when they ran out of bolts, they went to a hardware store and bought whatever they had. Collectors will argue endlessly over a bolt was chromed or nickel plated or whether a bearing was ball or roller and the fact is that the factory used whatever was handy.

The factory brochure for the 1940 Indian Junior Scout in my avatar has a number of inconsistencies compared with parts I know were original on this bike. The pictures in the brochure were of the first prototype, not a production bike.

Bill

When you get into restoring old cars or motorcycles, it doesn't take long to realize that the factory just wanted to get product out the door and was not concerned with collectors establishing authenticity 50 years later... Collectors will argue endlessly over a bolt was chromed or nickel plated or whether a bearing was ball or roller and the fact is that the factory used whatever was handy.

Bill

I have worked in the manufacturing industries for 40+ years and like Bill, chuckle when I hear auto or machinery enthusiasts discuss "vintage correct" details.

Its more likely that detail is part of an assembly or device because a salesman took the purchasing agent to lunch that day!

Mike

I am unfortunately very familiar with this practice. Most German Arms firms would produce actions in lots. The lot was then serialized sequentially. Actions were placed in inventory to be finished at the customers order and specification. That could be YEARS later.

In my correspondence with Steve he said he really didn't know about the serial number inconsistencies. Until I can do more research or someone else can, we can only speculate.

It is my understanding that a Monarch serial number was assigned when the order was initially placed. If the order was later cancelled, the serial number was not reused. There are examples of machines with close serial numbers but build dates that differ by a great deal. During WWII, some orders probably got placed on hold for various reasons, other machines may have gotten moved to the head of the line based on the customer having a priority need for the machine.

Cal

Back