What's new
What's new

Sturdy follow rest

Peter.

Titanium
I have an original follow rest for my 10EE but there are a couple of things I am not happy with about it:

1. It's as flexible as a Russian gymnast
2. It's designed to be used with a lantern toolpost, and the QC tool post I have puts the tool a couple of inches left of the tee slot.

So I decided to make a new one. It's not as pretty as the Monarch item but it is rock solid and more suitable for use with my tool holders. It's made from 70mm x 15mm hot rolled bar and utilises the original Monarch head. I did put an extra hole in it with the intention of drilling and tapping the apron for another bolt but it's so solid I won't bother with that.

Pics:

followrest1.jpg

followrest2.jpg

followrest3.jpg

Peter, creative solution. I like it, and I agree with your assessment of the original. If you have any interest in making more of them and selling them, I would be interested in buying one.

Dave

I wish the OP luck with this, but having done this once before, steel will ring like a bell. Success is a product of vibration damping, not just stiffness. In my experience cast iron works well, as well as aluminum, but not steel.

Last edited:
I'm not concerned, it's too short and too stiff to ring significantly IMO. If it does cause a problem I'll report back.

Almost anything would be better than the stock steady, which I guess is why they re-designed it later. The one time I tried to use it I could see it flexing and it wore the bronze finger unevenly. I tried several times and couldn't stop it turning a taper in a long thin part.

Dave: I haven't the stock to make any more and I guess that posting across the atlantic could be prohibitive. I could knock up a drawing of the three component parts though.

Back