What's new
What's new

Tailstock interchangeability

maynah

Stainless
Is the height difference in an old vs. new tailstock only in the base casting?
If so, would all other parts interchange?
What year was the height change? Round to square dial?
Thanks, as always.

Question does not seem clear and don't know if you are talking about one brand of lathe. Some older and some still today lathes were and are made like guns with all parts made to exact match to that one lathe.. Some modern made lathes the parts are made to exact numbers so might match another machine if that machine is still like new.

As far as I have experienced, the tops of both round dial and square dial tailstocks are the same, with all parts, ram, clamps, leadscrew, being similar and interchangeable. The difference as noted was in the thickness of the base. As far as the years...not a clue.

You're right, that wasn't very clear. I'm talking about a 10EE. Old height vs. new height tail stock.
Is the 1/2" difference, or whatever it is, just in the base, and all other parts the same?

Thanks Daryl, you were posting as I was typing.

You're right, that wasn't very clear. I'm talking about a 10EE. Old height vs. new height tail stock.
Is the 1/2" difference, or whatever it is, just in the base, and all other parts the same?

What Daryl said. To which I would add, there are at least two varieties of square dial upper castings, the early ones are the same as round dial, but the later ones use a larger dia. ram, which is big enough that it can be machined for MT3. Russ Kepler posted about that a few years ago, he made two rams one MT2 and the other MT3 for the larger tailstock. The advantage of the larger dia. really is that it will last longer without drooping since it has more contact area.

One minor difference between the upper castings is the location of the center point lube dabber. I think I have seen that in at least three different places.

-Dave

Back