What's new
What's new

Tailstock quill stuck!

david5411

Plastic
Hi All,
Hopefully this is not too stupid of a question, but my tailstock quill is now stuck and I am a little puzzled.

I have 1943 round dial with a standard tailstock, which previously worked very well. I was doing some drilling and after the operation was complete found that the quill did not want to move anymore. The quill was not clamped and is not clamped now. The quill was in the middle of its travel so was not over extended. Nothing obvious happened to cause this, drilling went fine.

The wheel will turn smoothly and the quill will extend and retract, but only with great effort. It feels as if the quill clamp is engaged.

I found a post with pictures of the tailstock completely disassembled, which helps some, but this didn't get me very far. If I understand correctly, there is a single wedge that clamps the quill, but it is not clear to me how to remove it.

I tried to disassemble the quill, but didn't have much luck and decided to ask for advice before breaking anything.

Any thoughts?

Thanks in advance,
David

The key might be jammed, or some crud could be between the quill and the tail stock. If I recall correctly the key can be removed by removing the screw that comes up from under the tail stock nose. If you pull the screw the key might come out when you jack out the quill with the wheel.

I finally got it apart without breaking anything. Well, it looks like you were right. Something got jammed between the quill and the bore. It's a tight fit so hard to imagine how. Will need to smooth off the burr it raised.

While its apart look at the key, likely alot of wear, it pops out when pushed up through the pin hole or lift it out. Monarch wants $50 for one I just made it out of some 4140 round.

Back