What's new
What's new

thread specs on pulley end of 10EE spindle

swellwelder

Stainless
I am in the process of mounting a Royal air closer for 5C collets on my 10EE and in doing so have found that I need to mount part of the closer to the spindle. Now, my EE has a threaded end that I assume holds the barrel shaped pulley? that drives the flat belt. Anyway, the question deals with the thread size. At first exam it looks like 1.75"x18 tpi. But closer exam shows the thread is .010 larger than 1.75" At first I thought that it was maybe class 3 thread, but not when the diam. is larger than the nominal size. So, is this just Monarchs way of messing with people? I can't think of any good reason for making it like this, it still is possible to make, just more complicated.

Dale Nelson

I just popped out to look because I was confused. The flat belt on my machine (and Dad's here for some work) is driven right off the OD of the spindle tube, no pulley. Also no threads on the OD of the spindle tube on either machine....however neither of these have a mounted collet closer (have one tubular handwheel closer) A picture would probably help out.

My '41 round dial has the barrel shaped pulley for the feed belt, but no threads. The pulley is keyed from what I recall. I have read before that some have the pulley, some don't. I don't recall anything about threads though.

Wayne

For what it's worth, this is a 1967 modular machine, dunno if at some point this thread was added to hold the barrel shaped pulley? The nut for this 1.75" thread is prevented from turning by a tabbed washer that one folds over the appropriate tab into one of four slots machined in the nut.

My modular machine is the same construction. There are pictures in a thread somewhere as the barrel shaped pulley is not symmetrical and people do put them on the wrong way round (when I got my machine that pulley was backwards, flat belt would try to run off the idler, swap it around - no issue). Don't know the thread spec, sorry.

Paul

Monarch isn't playing games on the thread, they make it to spec for the nut.
From the NTN catalog; 18 TPI, PD 1.7309" -.0045" tol, MD 1.767" -.0082" tol. on the external threads. The nut is N09, the lockwasher is W09.
Harry

Thanks Harry

Weird thing, I was looking for some stock to begin the threading, and pulled a piece out that has this exact external thread already made, don't remember the why, but it is one thing I won't have to make for a go/no go gauge!

Dale

Back