What's new
What's new

Time to Pass the Torch - Peter Haas

DaveKamp

Titanium
Hi Everybody!

I've had a dozen-or-so inquiries of the status of the moderator of this subforum. Some of you may recognize me- Peter worked with me on various power conversion and drive concepts as early as 2007, many of them posted in the Transformers/VFDs forum. Like others, when I learned of his apparent absence, I was equally concerned. After failing in my attempt to contact him through the forum here, I looked through my notes, and found a viable telephone number and called.

Good news- Peter is alive and well, and recently celebrated his 71st birthday, and still carries interest, but with everything, has been gently drawing out of many activities to conserve his human energy resources for activities closest to his day and capacity.

For those that don't know Peter, he worked for Los Angeles Division of Power and Water, and became active on Practical Machinist around 2002. He's been a very energetic and active member of this forum for over twenty years, but time waits for no man.

As a result, it's time to pass the torch. Peter said "Like the relay runner... the next to take the baton".

Peter suggested that the ideal recipient of a baton of this nature, should be in late 30's/early 40's, so that they can carry the spirit for a long tenure. In my assessment, this individual need not necessarily someone who knows all of the forum's subject, or even an expert, but have a deep interest in the subject, and a facination for history and technology, so that reading the forums is enjoyable, rather than a burdonsome task. Finally, one must have the energy and willing dedication to be involved in moderating for a long time, so here's stabile continuity.

Peter wore many hats in his vocation, and even more in avocation... as such, he carried many batons. If you feel that you are the person to pick up one of Peter's many batons, please let the forum primary owner know.

Good news- Peter is alive and well, and recently celebrated his 71st birthday, and still carries interest, but with everything, has been gently drawing out of many activities to conserve his human energy resources for activities closest to his day and capacity.

Glad to hear he is OK. Thanks for checking!

As a result, it's time to pass the torch. Peter said "Like the relay runner... the next to take the baton".

Peter suggested that the ideal recipient of a baton of this nature, should be in late 30's/early 40's, so that they can carry the spirit for a long tenure. In my assessment, this individual need not necessarily someone who knows all of the forum's subject, or even an expert, but have a deep interest in the subject, and a facination for history and technology, so that reading the forums is enjoyable, rather than a burdonsome task. Finally, one must have the energy and willing dedication to be involved in moderating for a long time, so here's stabile continuity.

Generally agree more years ahead is better than fewer, but those age ranges are usually also heavy "Day Job" and family responsibility years.

Peter and the community built a stable forum, not a great deal of maintenance needed, or we would have missed him sooner.

I see no harm in a 'somewhat' younger person or series of persons ten or more years older 50's and 60's, perhaps - simply taking shorter turns in the barrel.

Actually .. ANY age, so long as they can make some time each day.

For Milacron to confirm, but most forum software easily supports more than one Moderator if teaming helps folks with sometimes intense workloads know they can share the needs here.

I Agree, Bill- age wouldn't be my primary concern, and Day Job is a big thing, but not necessarily the finite concern. Everybody's job is a little different, and consequently, we all have a slightly different capacity. If it supports multiple moderators, that'd be great.

BTW... I tried to respond to your email and PM, but to no avail... both boxes seem unavailable...

If it supports multiple moderators, that'd be great.

Once.. it took TWO "Gweilo" to replace my wife as an Executive. Next go, THREE.

Peter'd love it if he could say "it took three guys to replace me.."

And it might...

:)

BTW... I tried to respond to your email and PM, but to no avail... both boxes seem unavailable...

Good to hear! Until this thread appeared, I was starting to worry about YOU as well as Peter!

I had a mail server striving for a *BSD 'uptime' record - six-plus years it had run, 'no hands'.

Down now, and a half-dozen email addresses with it. PM box fills up sooo fast, but:

[email protected]

(Zurich server, run by younger folks) should still work.

ELSE +1-703-473-7011 ....unless I am overseas.

If i may be so bold, i'd like to nominate Monarchist to the position of moderator.

Ah, no, that's not 'bold', it would be closer to 'foolhardy', thanks, anyway!

A good Moderator must actually 'moderate', not takes side, carry an agenda, get involved in the arguments of others - rather calm them.

Not dominate the forum, but rather support and administer it, IOW.

"Ox" is one of our best examples. "Milacron" does it well for a dozen or more forums where no one has stepped-up. GGaskill herds more obstreperous mountain lions that tame alley cats. Other very good moderators are seldom themselves seen or heard from. That's what the job is really like, and I have done it, "long ago and far away."

Aside from sharing the same birth-year as Peter, and also having changes in priorities upcoming, I simply have the wrong personality type to suit this particular job.

Several better men are suited.

For the same reason I should not be moderator, I should also not be the one to propose them!

Give it time.. the community will sort itself out better than I can.

I'd be willing.

There's the obvious shortcoming of not owning a Monarch lathe but if someone wants to donate a 10ee to the cause ..... :-)

Teryk

Hee hee...

S e c o n d e d.

One of the radio clubs which I belong to has a simple rule:

Anyone who fails to show up to a regular meeting, gets elected to some position of responsibility...

I respect Bill's declination of nomination, and agree with him on all counts, partly because it's true, plus, I believe that it is somehow dishonorable to step in to defend a man who's kicking himself while he's down. I'll grant him respect for being honest. :-}

Cal: where are you, and what say you?

Hello DaveKamp
Huh, ... interesting.:scratchchin: My Monarch was originally purchased by the city of Los Angeles Power & Water. Maybe he once ran it???:scratchchin:

'At the time'.. he was far more likely to have had a hand in designing the power grid that brought power to their pumps, valves - whatever - perhaps even shop and lathes...

Folks used to say the 'EE' in '10EE' meant you needed an EE degree to understand it.

Peter is among those who were kind enough to bring us exactly that.
Then apply it to help pierce the veil of mystery.

Others could then more readily understand each generation of 10EE was inherently simple, after all.

We no longer needed the whole four-plus year course at Uni to discover that every generation of 10EE actually CAN be restored - even Sundstrand drive ones.

Solid-State DC Drive or VFD then reverted to "options", no longer forced choices.

A job well done in a crucial transition era, Peter. Well done, indeed.

Back