What's new
What's new

Tool size for DSG 13x42 Lathe

engineerjack

Plastic
I was told to come to this forum for useful help from you guys on my DSG 13x42 lathe.

Having been quite used to working with 13" swing lathes for so many years and then switching to a DSG 13x42, the first thing I notice is that the existing tool holder is set up to use a 20mm tool in order to be positioned right for a cut. Is this right? I would have typically used a 16mm tool on any of my other similar sized lathes but this beast looks like it can use, perhaps demand a much larger tool. I read about the power and depth of cut that these DSG lathes are capable of and I'm wondering if 20mm is the right size tool to go with.

Most of my work is going to be a bit light for use with such a heavy duty lathe but sure as hell that time will come when I want to exploit that power (sensibly, of course).

Suggestions?

Do you have the larger tooling on hand?

What would it take to move the cutting edge up a bit?

Are the Depth Of Cut police active in your area? :)

If you need to buy the larger tooling, is the cost 'reasonable'

Very generic questions, I know, but they still apply.

I ran a DSG for many years and used many different sizes of tool, all with superb performance ( except when they needed sharpening) it's just a
matter of picking the horse for the course!

My Hobrook (also a 13" swing, English toolroom lathe) takes up to 22mm/ 7/8", I usually go with 3/4" (18mm?) in the interests of rigidity and a good surface finish, but have used as small as 5/16" (8mm) occasionally when I've needed access in a tight spot - a Dickson QCTP makes height adjustment pretty simple though, highly recommended!

Dave H.

There were many tool holders available. Many of us have gently placed the Turret tool holder on the shelf in favour of a quick change. If you can find a deal on a Multifix like you found on the lathe I would jump at the occasion and save yourself a lot of grief.

Raymond

DSG 13x42 lathe

I was told to come to this forum for useful help from you guys on my DSG 13x42 lathe.

Having been quite used to working with 13" swing lathes for so many years and then switching to a DSG 13x42, the first thing I notice is that the existing tool holder is set up to use a 20mm tool in order to be positioned right for a cut. Is this right? I would have typically used a 16mm tool on any of my other similar sized lathes but this beast looks like it can use, perhaps demand a much larger tool. I read about the power and depth of cut that these DSG lathes are capable of and I'm wondering if 20mm is the right size tool to go with.

Most of my work is going to be a bit light for use with such a heavy duty lathe but sure as hell that time will come when I want to exploit that power (sensibly, of course).

Suggestions?
I have just newly acquired an old DSG 13x42 lathe but,its still in a good working conditions. My problem with it is that the speed and thread charts are missing. Can anyone help me out with a picture scan or well tabulated and written out of the 2 charts? I will be highly relived if i get this information, as threading on it is always a burden threading on it. Pls help me out. My email address is [email protected]

Thanks,
Peter

Back