What's new
What's new

A User-friendly Follow Rest by Harry Bloom

The forum you found it on is still up and running.

Several among us besides our respected Harry post there as well as here. That has not been problematic, nor should it become so.

I do not know how they view 'rights' to their posted material, but I cannot see it a good thing to migrate material in either direction without the blessing - in advance - of BOTH site's 'decision makers'. EG: Milacron, not Peter, here, Milacron's counterpart over there.

Suggest the material linked in your post vanish until you have had that discussion with him, not with us.

A basic 'edit' will do the first part. An email. not PM-PM, the second.

PM may be appear an anarchy most days - herding cats is like that. It is not a Democracy.

Milacron owns and runs it. We are his guests.

Bill

Indeed, but as I said, I'm posting this under the Fair Use Act.

Please repair your quoting, we are not cojoined twins just yet.

It does not matter what your view of the 'fair use' act is.

It only matters whether Milacron is comfortable with material being lifted from 'Hobby' websites - scanned or otherwise - IP rights encumbered or otherwise - and dropped here by whomever gets the urge to do so without asking first.

Peter's job might well be that of he who deletes it, per standing instructions. I do not know. I am not a Moderator.

All I am is the first puppy dog in the pack to sense a problem and bark 'coz my nose happened to be pointing into the wind at the instant it arose.

Lest we forget.. Harry had put the article where HE thought appropriate. And Harry was a wise and considerate man.

Bill

Actually, your application of the fair use doctrine applies is very weak in this case. "A tribute to the departed" is not one of the qualifying uses (criticism, comment, news reporting, teaching, scholarship, and research) identified in section 107 of the Copyright Act.

In other words, the fair use doctrine is not an invitation to scan articles from a printed magazine and post them on a web forum. You have to do something with the material you are reproducing to qualify under fair use.

No, your wrong. I'm in no way doing this for monetary value, and this is an educational piece.
No, I'm right. Monetary value has nothing to do with the fair use doctrine.

And it is not enough for Harry's published article to be "educational". What YOU DO WITH IT must be educational. All you've done with it is say
I would like to make this document available ...
Where is your educational lesson based on this material? That's what would make this a "fair use".

I'll let you have the last word on this, as I've no desire to drag out an argument like this.

No, I'm right. Monetary value has nothing to do with the fair use doctrine.

And it is not enough for Harry's published article to be "educational". What YOU DO WITH IT must be educational. All you've done with it is say Where is your educational lesson based on this material? That's what would make this a "fair use".

I'll let you have the last word on this, as I've no desire to drag out an argument like this.

That is not how I read the Fair Use Act, and monetary certainly has to do with it. The material itself is educational. Fair use is based on the material content, not me saying it's available.

No problem, I have my document to use, since I created it. :)

You can find pics of Harry's rest here on PM, but you just won't have dimensions and good stuff like that.

No use in leaving this thread going. I removed all content above.

Harry sent me the FR drawings years ago and since he did not mention money, I just sent him a check. It came back with the comment that it was way too much

Back