What's new
What's new

Very old? 16"Monarch

vader

Plastic
I recently purchased a Monarch lathe, It has "A lot 178 N011" stamped on the bed way, I contacted Monarch and they told me the Lathe predates 1928 and they have no records for it, from what info I have found so far is that this lathe is a Model A and the rest is unclear, I think the best place to start would be getting help with identifying the stamping on the bed way and would be appreciated. Thanks

IMG_3387.jpg
20170806_121126.jpg
IMG_3386.jpg
Monarch lathe 1.jpg

Attachments

• 20170806_110459.jpg
    20170806_110459.jpg
    96 KB · Views: 151
Last edited:
Can't help you myself but some good quality photos will go a long way for those that know the Monarchs.

I didn't see the quick change feed gear box. Did you get it with the lathe?

Tom

No I did not get a quick change feed gear box with it and after all the pictures and research I have seen I was beginning to think it may have had one with it at one time. Do you know if it was a standard feature? And thanks.
Dave

The way markings:
A
LOT 178
NO 11

Can that information be used to approximate a manfaturing date, if referenced to other existing Monarch Lathes of similar LOT and NO numbers?

As to the missing GCGB: could you contact the seller and ask him if he remembers seeing his father/grandfather use the lathe, with the QCGB on the lathe?
Roy

No I did not get a quick change feed gear box with it and after all the pictures and research I have seen I was beginning to think it may have had one with it at one time. Do you know if it was a standard feature? And thanks.
Dave

It may not have come with one. According to the brochure in post #4, the lathe could be supplied with either feed, QCGB or change gears.

Tom

This looks like a early Model A, but not sure. By 1916 90% model A's had the quick change gear box. Most A's where built between 1916 and 1919 - the war years when several thousand were built.

John

Was the Monarch Lion Logo a decal, stencil or a plate, like a Makers Daya Plate? Does any one have a picture of the Lion Logo from an early Monarch?

Wondering if under several coats of chips there might be the logo:

------------------
*****I have a close up picture of possibly the logo, but can not figure out how to include it in this post. Can anyone help me with this?*****

Roy

Roy

Last edited:

Back