What's new
What's new

Wanting to buy a 10e radius/spherical/ball turning attachment

I think Monarch did, or at least made a prototype. From a 1957 brochure:

10ee_ball_turning_tool.jpg

But I've never seen one in the wild.

The Holdridge 3 is the right size for the 10EE with the normal compound.

It is my understanding that Monarch made one as an option. I have seen one that I understood to be OEM Monarch.... unlike any Holdridge I have ever seen (which I have).

Will someone more knowledgeable add to this ....even an image or scan from a catalog/manual,etc.

Just saw the post from rke[pler...that's it! Thanks for the posting....maybe someone has one and did not know what it was until now.

Thanks, John

Thanks for the image! As always, Monarch recognized the problem and nailed it!

The Holdridge system (regardless of size) is nothing more than a harmonic tuning fork!

Because it is so flimsy, you cannot take serious cuts, the older versions did not use inserts, and so you had to grind and reset each time you had to sharpen the tool. I finally got so pissed off that I made my own, and managed to solve those problems.

I will ask the guy I sold it to (with the lathe) to take pictures.

What I did was to make a pair of brass "V" grooves that rode on the ways of the lathe. They were supported by a cross bar made of 2" square steel. The outer "C" of the cutter frame was adjustable to fit snugly on top of the cross bar.

This gave me a solid footing. From there, it was easy to build the rest.
I was able to go from a 1" dia to an 8" dia both internal and external using the same fixture, and peel off .050 cuts, turning the chip stream blue!

I don't mean to tease, and I promise the images soon.

Lee (the saw guy)

Holy Shitskies! That Monarch picture looks crazy (awesome)!

That said, I have a couple of questions:

1) What is the significance of the vertical orientation of the cutter rotation? Seems like most other radius attachments I have seen operate in the horizontal plane (assuming the lathe wasn't tipped over ;) )

2) That tool would be difficult to make a hemispherical groove partway into a workpiece, wouldn't it? Maybe I'm missing something

That Monarch accessory was on center. It's rotational axis was horizontal at a right angle to the spindle.

1) There is no significance in your vernacular vertical or horizontal orientation of the axis of rotation of the sweeping cutter. It would do fine at 45 degrees from horizontal or at any other orientation as long as it's at an exact right angle to the spindle and on exactly on center.

2) You're on point, that tool nor can any other can make a hemispherical groove, they don't exist. However a generated radius bottom groove into a work piece is another story. That Monarch accessory can't do that without modification.

No one would do such work today in a profit driven situation with real competition.

I think Monarch did, or at least made a prototype. From a 1957 brochure:

10ee_ball_turning_tool.jpg

But I've never seen one in the wild.

The Holdridge 3 is the right size for the 10EE with the normal compound.

Well I stand corrected!
Thanks for the picture by the way.
I have never seen anything like that either in photos or in real life, if there were any made it had to be so few it definitely is unobtanium.

I remember someone on the PM forum a while back post pictures of his gear drive ball turning attachment, it looked like it would be a lot better than the Holdridge.
Maybe he will chime in and post some info on it.

Kevin

This video has what's looks to be a genuine Monarch attachment, based on the catalog photos shown.

Monarch 10EE Toolroom Lathe m/c 315586 - YouTube

Were the dovetails on the far side of the cross slide an option or standard after a particular year?

Thanks for the video link!:bawling:
OMG I want one.:drool5:

Now something else I have to keep an eye out for, damn just when I thought I was making progress.

Hello, my name is Kevin and I'm a tool junkie!

I'm going to go take my meds now.

Thanks Tannewitz, see what you started!:crazy:

Kevin

That Monarch accessory was on center. It's rotational axis was horizontal at a right angle to the spindle.

1) There is no significance in your vernacular vertical or horizontal orientation of the axis of rotation of the sweeping cutter. It would do fine at 45 degrees from horizontal or at any other orientation as long as it's at an exact right angle to the spindle and on exactly on center.

2) You're on point, that tool nor can any other can make a hemispherical groove, they don't exist. However a generated radius bottom groove into a work piece is another story. That Monarch accessory can't do that without modification.

No one would do such work today in a profit driven situation with real competition.

Perhaps my use of the term "hemispherical groove" is not correct. I'm guessing that your phrasing is probably the same as what I picture - a groove running around the workpiece whose shape is that of half of a circle. That tool certainly does exist, because I made one!

So I wonder why the vertical orientation - space requirements, some aspect of rigidity with respect to the ways (such as with a rear mounted parting tool), being able to leave it attached and use the normal toolpost/compound?

I couldn't care less if it competes with modern machinery - it was from 1957! That doesn't make it any less cool or interesting.

Wfrancis,

I saw the YouTube video earlier and had already called the company, a machinery dealer, who posted the YouTube video. They sold the lathe sometime back. They are trying to connect me with the purchaser to see if the ball turing attachment might be surplus to their needs.

thanks, John

If you happened to win the lottery Monarch will probably make one for you for $$$$$
It might be interesting to ask what they would charge.
Paul

Monarch radius attachment for my 10EE

Here is my Monarch radius attachment that I just purchased. Looks to be in great shape. Just need to paint to match my lathe.

Attachments

• Radius.jpg
    Radius.jpg
    77.4 KB · Views: 6,794
Ok so now we all will want to know details - where did you find it? Ballpark on what you paid?
Post a video when you use it - seems like you may be the only one on the list with one of these.

Paul

Ok so now we all will want to know details - where did you find it? Ballpark on what you paid?
Post a video when you use it - seems like you may be the only one on the list with one of these.

Paul

I got a hold of the fellow from Woodland Hills and got him to agree to sell it off of his machine. I am bit embarrassed to say how much I paid. Once I found it I just had to have it.

How embarrassed are you?:stirthepot:

You should not be embarrassed, I have paid way more for tooling on some machines than the actual machine purchase price!

Please post some pics when you get it painted to match your machine.

BTW that's a great find and congrats.

Kevin

Back