.125 depth of cut
    .010 feed rate
    1150rpm
    tnmg 321 insert
    1" 1018 crs
    as per Harry bloom

i"ll see what happens
    Good a start as any other.

You did notice that Harry was mainly tracking RPM stability / drop, rather than how much he could straight-out balls-to-the-walls "hog". Monarch (and many others..) built OTHER lathes for that, and Harry had a couple of them under-roof.

Observe the tiny 2 MT TS and a compound rest and toolholder size not a great deal larger than a mere SB ten. By contrast, the HBX-360 has a FIVE MT TS, and even so, it was not Cazeneuve's "hogger" - they, too, had larger lathes for that.

The 10EE is all about finesse with uber-stable, repeatable, predictable-position rigidity, not about massive removal rates.

"Relatively", anyway. With full-gallop Dee Cee power? Surely eats a SB's lunch in a New York Minute. But then.. what doesn't?

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Idaho
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Monarchist said....
    "Because...there's NFW your present rig will match the broad power band of even an early 1940's 3 HP large-frame "Round Dial" MG 10EE, as-shipped. "Half" would be a reasonable expectation, and that will, after all, make chips pretty damned well."

This statement is right on. I did some casual tests on what the 1946 MG 3hp. could do hogging..250" depth of cut, 4" dia. 316ss, feed set as high as the box will go. The machine did not flinch or complain, talk about balls for a 10X20 lathe. I do not use the lathe in this way, I use her for the precision and finnish stability, which is unmatched by any other lathe I have used.

Bill

Country
    UNITED STATES
    State/Province
    Virginia
    Post Thanks / Like
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by BillDe View Post
    Monarchist said....
    "Because...there's NFW your present rig will match the broad power band of even an early 1940's 3 HP large-frame "Round Dial" MG 10EE, as-shipped. "Half" would be a reasonable expectation, and that will, after all, make chips pretty damned well."

This statement is right on. I did some casual tests on what the 1946 MG 3hp. could do hogging..250" depth of cut, 4" dia. 316ss, feed set as high as the box will go. The machine did not flinch or complain, talk about balls for a 10X20 lathe. I do not use the lathe in this way, I use her for the precision and finnish stability, which is unmatched by any other lathe I have used.

Bill
    To be fair.. the "20" (or 30", max) is a part of that.

The OEM 3 HP "large frame" motor sez right on it "30 minute" rated, AND NOT "continuous" duty...

Well.. on a lathe that SHORT, "90 seconds" - where in-the-know folk set their Parker-SSD's drives to permit as much as 150% overload of the DC Drive, near-as- dammit DOUBLE the motor's rating, were it not actually capable of a great deal MORE than nameplate?

That will be longer than a short-wheelbase 10EE is ever IN anything like a "heavy" cut, each pass. Then it takes a deep breath, and does it all over again.

Monarch/Reliance knew what they were doing, what mattered, and why.

"Tough act to follow" with a VFD + 3-Phase motor.

Mind - at 100% "new parts" prices if one HAS NO Dee Cee motor?

Well.. it DOES save about twelve thousand 1980's through 20-teens dollars in component costs. Type T Dee Cee motors were never "cheap".

4. Likes BillDe liked this post