What's new
What's new

Who had the 10EE rack for sale?

Zahnrad Kopf

Diamond
Who was it that had a 10EE rack for sale? I am going to replace mine and was going to make one out of Stainless simply because I can, but thought I remembered someone having one for sale so thought to ask before I go creating more work for myself. Feel free to email or PM through the board. Thanks.

THis is my experience, and won't make any guarantees for anybody else but...I acquired a pristine rack off of a 1944 round dial, and I took the unworn rear one off my 1959 square dial and put it on the front and the pristine round dial one on the back. It fit and meshed perfectly. I think I had to open up the dowel pin/taper pin.? holes to match the square dial one. I figure they were both made on the same machine, but years apart.

THis is my experience, and won't make any guarantees for anybody else but...I acquired a pristine rack off of a 1944 round dial, and I took the unworn rear one off my 1959 square dial and put it on the front and the pristine round dial one on the back. It fit and meshed perfectly. I figure they were both made on the same machine, but years apart.

Y'know... I thought I had seen reference to someone saying that they simply swapped front to rear racks when theirs wore. I tried this and there is no way that is happening. It results in a gap between the two. One is longer than the other on mine. That is why I got to thinking about making one. Hate to say it, but I even thought to purchase some stock rack and fit it, but good luck finding the correct size, commercially. Monarch went with an oddball there as well as the mating gear.

Ck your PM. It looks like yours was a victim of "war time frugality". Monarch shop foreman," Hey Bert, take that box of rejected racks and make em' fit, there's a war going on." :)

That's to bad yours won't swap. I bought a set of used racks and used the 2 rear racks which were pristine. I think when I tried to swap the front and rear racks I had a gap as well. Bob
Y'know... I thought I had seen reference to someone saying that they simply swapped front to rear racks when theirs wore. I tried this and there is no way that is happening. It results in a gap between the two. One is longer than the other on mine. That is why I got to thinking about making one. Hate to say it, but I even thought to purchase some stock rack and fit it, but good luck finding the correct size, commercially. Monarch went with an oddball there as well as the mating gear.

Maybe heresy, but seems like slotting the socket bolt holes in the racks to add alittle adjustment would be a way out. You could overkill and counterbore , slot the dowel pin holes as well and tap the holes in the way casting.

Maybe heresy, but seems like slotting the socket bolt holes in the racks to add alittle adjustment would be a way out. You could overkill and counterbore , slot the dowel pin holes as well and tap the holes in the way casting.

Heresy aside, it sounds an awful lot like work! Before I do that, I would simply cut some new rack. I think it would actually be less work. :) :cheers:

Back