What's new
What's new

Why should I buy this Monarch 10 EE

North49

Plastic
Looking for advise, I have followed this excellent forum for several years and learned lots, thanks. This my first post.
I have an opportunity to buy a 1971 Monarch 10EE it is fully tooled with just about everything that was offered at the time, for example 6 jaw chuck, 3 jaw chuck, 4 jaw chuck, collet chuck taper attachment, DRO, steady and follow rest, metric capabilities and a whole bunch of tooling. The price is around $12,500 in US Dollars. There is no question as to the quality of this piece of equipment. My dilemma is will I use it and can I justify it.
I am a full time Gunsmith and I have a Logan 14 X 40 one of the last ones they made, it has served me well for about 24 years and I have no intention of parting with it. I had a small Myford ML7 for a few years but let it go as it saw little use with the Logan around.
If I buy this Monarch, will I use it. With such a short bed at around 20 inches it must be fairly limited for gun work such as chambering and the making of small parts.
I don't want to pass this opportunity up if its going to be the chance of a lifetime. Any thoughts. Best Regards, North 49.

If you want an EE, buy it, I do not think a late I/M machine can be had cheaply

It does sound like it has only limited utility for you though, so perhaps you are thinking about this wrong way round.

Think about what you want tp do and what machine would do that for you

That sounds like a bargain if it is in good shape and has no issues (doubtful) with the drive. I have the same year 10ee that is undergoing a retrofit of the drive. If you are not going to pick it up, you should pass on the information to the forum so someone else can jump on it. Also, you need to add your location to your profile. Rules are rules. Once you add the location to your profile, you must scroll all the way down to the bottom of that page and select "save changes".

Please post pics of the lathe. I want to see how it compares to the one I have aesthetically.

Good luck!

Thanks for responding to my post, It is a standard inch lathe with metric change gears. The machine is in Alberta, Canada as am I so it would not be of interest to you guys in the U.S. The lathe was removed from a Canadian naval ship and has been in the hands of the present owner since the late 1970's. I hope to go and get a good look at it this summer and can post pictures at that time. North 49.

While the I/M gearbox may be more user friendly Peter has previously posted that the Monarch price to add metric capability was the same for the I/M gearbox or the added change gears - $10K if I remember correctly

Paul

I'll be the devil's advocate here:

If I were a gunsmith, I'd need something with a long bed to work barrels...

but I'd have a high-quality precision toolmaker's lathe to make TOOLS.

I'm not a gunsmith, but I have a 10EE, and if I felt I really needed a lathe and tools for gunsmithery, my 10EE would give me the capacity to make that barrel-turning lathe AND every screw, headspace gauge, reamer, and boring system that I'd ever need.

DK :-)

I chamber my barrels in the headstock of my 6913 Clausing. The bed length is short on the EE, but good barrels have been chambered in them with a precision adjustable center in the spindle and either a cathead or 4 jaw on the chamber end. A few ways to skin the cat.
I use my 10EE frequently.

I have made arrangements with the current owner to let me give it a good look over within the next ten days or so and will see if I can give a more accurate account of the 10EE at that point. Regarding pictures, I have had much trouble in the past on other forums posting pictures, however I will endeavor to satisfy your thirst and post a few pictures of this machine when I get the chance. In the mean time thanks to all who took the time to reply with advise. North 49.

Well I made the drive and had a first hand look at this beautiful little machine it is as close to perfect as you would want, all the bells and whistles included. Sorry no pictures were taken. I only wish the bed was twice as long as it would be more practical for gun barrel work. None the less what a peach. Regards North49.

Well I broke down and bought the Monarch 10 EE, sent the payment off to the owner last week. I will be loading it at the end of this month and will get some pictures up at that point. I see that there is some information on this forum about the do's and don'ts of lifting and transporting these lathes so I will study up prior to undertaking. Regards North49.

I'm not a gunsmith, but I have chambered a couple barrels through the headstock of my Webb 17x40 (Mori clone).... as long as the spindle bore allows it, you should be able to finangle a way to chamber through the headstock. Just need to make up an outboard spider and a spindle-mounted 4-screw spider chuck as well. If the headstock is too deep (mine is) then make tapered sleeves out of aluminum for the muzzle end and extend the barrel that way.

Obviously, you won't be able to profile barrels on it. I think the guys I buy barrels from (Pac-Nor) charge $15 to profile a new tube. That's money I spend very happily. :)

I know rifle barrels get chambered successfully every day on some wanky-ass lathes BUT I have to think that the old mantra of "mass, accuracy, rigidity" still has meaning for this precision reaming operation. I actually own a 12x36 Logan that was a gunsmith's lathe and has tooling for that and I still opted to tool up my Webb and jump through the hoops to use it. Given that you'll have mass, accuracy, and rigidity in spades I think you'll find a way!

I have built several rifles on my 10EE. I made special tooling to fit back end of the spindle. If you like, you can email me at, billde5(@)live.com, don't use the parenthesis.

Thank you for the welcome to the Monarch owners brethren, I will get her home and do some head scratching once I get it under power. Will post with pictures when the dust settles. Regards North49.

Well here are a couple of pictures as promised, the lathe made the 4 1/2 hour journey home without any incident. It is still on the trailer and will have to remain there for the time being until I arrange a fork lift as the weight is more than my 48hp tractor will cope with. I will post more pictures once I get it spotted. Don't know why the lathe picture is upside down?? North 49.

Attachments

• photo 5.jpg
    photo 5.jpg
    48.9 KB · Views: 1,221
  • photo 4 (4).jpg
    photo 4 (4).jpg
    41.9 KB · Views: 1,015
That's a beauty!

Looks well tooled. Looks clean. A premium price, but a premium lathe and condition from the pics. Steady rest, follower rest, chucks and more chucks etc. Not missing much if anything. Probably save you a bunch of time trying to find a lot of that. I know I have. Still, no follower rest for me. Find the right work and it could easily pay for itself. I am so jealous.

Looks very well tooled! Including original tooling cabinet. If it did not come with a manual you can get one from monarch for about $75 and it will have info for your specific serial number. Also if you ask they will give you a copy of the original order, you can see who bought it and what options came with it - and see if thy are all still there.

So any more bits in the tooling cabinet? Various stops, multi start attachment, and other options were available.

Rally nice!
Paul

I am very happy with my purchase the previous owner really looked after it. There are 4 binders of printed matter that came with it including assorted Monarch manuals. I am and will be for sometime sorting out what came with it for accessories, some I don't recognize but they are certainly for use on this lathe. Here is a list of the more obvious items that it is tooled with.
Factory tooling cabinet
64 Hardinge collets
Coolant system
Jacobs rubber flex chuck with collets
Cushman collet chuck
Buck adjust tru 6 jaw chuck
Brown and Sharpe 9" magnetic chuck
6" Skinner three jaw chuck
11" face plate
8" Cushman 3 jaw chuck
8" Cushman 4 jaw chuck
Dog Driving plate
steady and follow rest
2 spare rectifier tubes
misc other tubes and electrical parts
Spare belts and oils
Set of metric quick change gears
Work light
Heidenhan DRO
Chuck guard
2 Tool posts
Drill chuck and live center.

All for now, North 49.

Looks very well tooled! Including original tooling cabinet. If it did not come with a manual you can get one from monarch for about $75 and it will have info for your specific serial number. Also if you ask they will give you a copy of the original order, you can see who bought it and what options came with it - and see if thy are all still there.

So any more bits in the tooling cabinet? Various stops, multi start attachment, and other options were available.

Rally nice!
Paul

Back