What's new
What's new

Wicked excited about a !0EE find !!

chipkid

Plastic
Wicked excited about a 10EE find !!

Thanks to the PM buy/sell forum...I found a 10EE !!
Very appreciative to all who reached out.
With a special thanks to Marc.

Here are some specs:
1969 Modular Machine
4000 rpm 5HP 3 phase 240V
Serial No 50007
Built 4-1969

Options and included tooling:
ELSR Machine
Taper attachment(missing the way mounted support for the guide rod)
Dial indicator on the carriage
Aloris AXA tool post(wish it was a BXA)
Coolant pump (probably won't use it)
8 inch 3 Jaw Buck Chuck (big chuck I may look for a 5 or 6 inch)
Sjogren 2J speed Chuck
10 3/4 inch faceplate
Precision German tailstock drill chuck
Original Monarch wrench for the carriage lock
Has work light but not the original
FWD/STOP/REV lever is on the carriage not the headstock

General Condition
was told it came out of a Honeywell facility in NJ.
Overall a clean machine cosmetically.
No bent or broken control knobs or levers.
Ways look to be very, very clean, no ridge on inside way.
Carriage moves very smoothly
25-30 thou of backlash in the cross slide and compound.
Dials are clean, and turn smoothly
Tailstock is clean and tight, taper is clean
Headstock spins super smooth and quiet.

Issues:
Spindle reaches about 1500 rpm max. When the pot turned to max it hits about 1100 right away and slowly drifts to about 1500 over about a minute then tops out.
In back gear it reaches just under 1000rpm if memory serves me.
The gearbox has little or no oil in it, must be leaking (motor compartment is oily) and it may have migrated into the dual pot.
Good news...The headstock is full of oil.
I don't know if the oiling system is working for the carriage.

Next Steps:
Get it into the shop. This will take a week or two, due to my schedule coming up. Then troubleshoot the Modular drive system components. I am anticipating some tube an diode trouble...Maybe brushes, and maybe a dual armature/field pot. We shall see. I have a schematic for a 65, but I may need to order the manual and schematic from Monarch for my machine.

Anyway, I am very excited to get her up and running and making some chips ! This thing makes my Heavy 10 look like a toy. I will get pics up as soon as I am able. Looking forward to sharing this project in the forum here.

Last edited:
chipkid

Sound like a nice find.

You might want to remove the tubes from the lathe for the big move.

Are you going to move the lathe yourself ?

Hal

Congratulations. Sounds good. Wish my came with a taper attachment. I'm in a similar situation; it will be a few weeks before its home. I'm looking for a 3ph motor for a rotary phase converter now. Hopefully I'll find something local.

Andy

Thanks to the PM buy/sell forum...I found a 10EE !!
Very appreciative to all that reached out.
With a special thanks to Marc.

Here are some details:
1969 Modular Machine
4000 rpm 5HP 3 phase 240V
Serial No 50007
Came out of a Honeywell facility in NJ.

Options and included tooling:
ELSR Machine
Taper attachment(missing the way mounted guide rod support)
Dial indicator on the carriage
Aloris AXA tool post(wish it was a BXA)
Coolant pump (probably won't use it
8 inch 3 Jaw Buck Chuck (big chuck I may look for a 5 or 6 inch)
Sjogren 2J speed Chuck
12 inch faceplate
Precision German tailstock drill chuck
Original Monarch wrench for the carriage lock
Has work light but not the original
FWD/STOP/REV lever is on the carriage not the headstock

General Condition
Overall a clean machine cosmetically.
No bent or broken control knobs or levers.
Ways look to be very, very clean, no ridge on inside way.
Carriage moves very smoothly
25-30 thou of backlash in the cross slide and compound.
Dials are clean, and turn smoothly
Tailstock is clean and tight, taper is clean
Headstock spins super smooth and quiet.

Issues:
Spindle reaches about 1500 rpm max. When the pot turned to max it hits about 1100 right away and slowly drifts to about 1500 over about a minute then tops out.
In back gear it reaches just under 1000rpm if memory serves me.
The gearbox has little or no oil in it, must be leaking (motor compartment is oily) and it may have migrated into the dual pot.
Good news...The headstock is full of oil.
I don't know if the oiling system is working for the carriage.

Next Steps:
Get it into the shop. This will take a week or two, due to my schedule coming up. Then troubleshoot the Modular drive system components. I am anticipating some tube an diode trouble...Maybe brushes, and maybe a dual armature/field pot. We shall see. I have a schematic for a 65, but I may need to order the manual and schematic from Monarch for my machine.

Anyway, I am very excited to get her up and running and making some chips ! This thing makes my Heavy 10 look like a toy. I will get pics up as soon as I am able. Looking forward to sharing this project in the forum here.

Your heavy 10 is a toy

You might want to remove the tubes from the lathe for the big move.

Are you going to move the lathe yourself ?

Hal

Yes I am moving it myself. Its basically moved, just not in the shop and connected to power yet. However, I did not remove the tubes prior to the 2 hour move. So that was risky/not very smart.

Congratulations. Sounds good. Wish my came with a taper attachment. I'm in a similar situation; it will be a few weeks before its home. I'm looking for a 3ph motor for a rotary phase converter now. Hopefully I'll find something local.

Andy

Thanks Andy, Same to you on your 10EE find! When I searched for my 3 phase motor to do the same, I did craigslist. . .but in the end a call to a motor local shop was the ticket. They charged about 10 bucks per HP which I think was a pretty good deal. Good luck on your motor search for your rotary converter. Is your machine a Modular? I think,but not sure, they can be wired to run from 240 split phase like what comes into your house, but only if you don't use the coolant pump.

Thanks Andy, Same to you on your 10EE find! When I searched for my 3 phase motor to do the same, I did craigslist. . .but in the end a call to a motor local shop was the ticket. They charged about 10 bucks per HP which I think was a pretty good deal. Good luck on your motor search for your rotary converter. Is your machine a Modular? I think,but not sure, they can be wired to run from 240 split phase like what comes into your house, but only if you don't use the coolant pump.
Chip kid,

Thanks for the motor shop idea. I just got the manual for mine. Looking at the schematic it does indead look like it can be wired for 230.

Mime is sitting at a friend's shop. He is hosting a machine rebuilding course in 2 weeks. After that it comes home. I made a sled for it out of 3x3x1/4" angle iron. I'll rent a hydraulic lift be trailer to move it. I've got some 1" iron pipe that I'll role it on.

I took the HS end covers off to check out the motor. I'll leave them off for the move, as it would be easy to damage them.

Andy

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

Here is same guy moving his on pipe. I fashioned my sled after his:

Pipe concept has worked since it was wooden rollers in ancient times, so you could call it an 'enduring' solution.

Pipes are also a sunovabitch to control well on quite a lot of surfaces, most especially when one doesn't have experienced helpers trained to work as a team to set angles, pick up and re-cycle at the other end. Or even just STOP quickly and safely.

For one/few man moves?

Have a look at genuine machinery skates, Northern Tool & Vestil. Far easier to plan, organize, and control, and keep on being useful for a very long time for no more shop or vehicle space than they occupy.

Bill

Chipkid,

Here is an example of the type of trailer I was talking about. I will rent a dual axle one from Sunbelt Rentals.

SHORT SCREW-- HYDRAULIC DROP TRAILER - YouTube

Here is same guy moving his on pipe. I fashioned my sled after his:

SCREWY TUESDAY #52 MONARCH 1EE MOVING A LATHE - YouTube

Andy

Andy,

I think you have a good plan. Those trailers are nice, and will make rolling the 10EE off very easy. Screwy Tuesday has a nice setup for rolling a 10EE using skies and pipes. The machine stays low to the ground and will roll smoothly on the angle. I like pipes also because it gives flexibility to position the machine perpendicular to the roll direction (slide it across the pipes), which sometimes helps align the machine in its resting place before lowering it on the floor after pipe and ski removal. Just keep in mind the 10EE is a bit top heavy on the headstock end. Go slow and be safe. Have some help available if possible, besides, who wouldn't want the opportunity to help move a 10EE with you? I've moved tons of equipment this way (pun intended) My wife thinks I have a "problem" with old heavy equipment and machines. She is wrong! I have a big problem! Good luck... you'll be fine.

Jason

Have a look at genuine machinery skates, Northern Tool & Vestil. Far easier to plan, organize, and control, and keep on being useful for a very long time for no more shop or vehicle space than they occupy.

Bill

Yup good point Bill, skates would work just fine too... If you have em or don't mind the extra expense if you don't. They are good to have as an option for your next heavy equipment move.

Pipe concept has worked since it was wooden rollers in ancient times, so you could call it an 'enduring' solution.

Pipes are also a sunovabitch to control well on quite a lot of surfaces, most especially when one doesn't have experienced helpers trained to work as a team to set angles, pick up and re-cycle at the other end. Or even just STOP quickly and safely.

For one/few man moves?

Bill
Bill,

I had a look at the skates. I've only got a very short distance to move once I'm home. I will back the trailer right up to the garage. It is then just a straight shot inside, about 10 feet or so. I have the pipe left over from recently moving a 10x54 knee mill we bought for the school. I'll likely lagg a screw eye into the floor so I can tie off the lathe, as there is slight slope to the garage floor. Having the lathe roll out my garage, across the driveway and into my neighbors car is very bad form. :)

Andy

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-T337A using Tapatalk

Bill,

I had a look at the skates. I've only got a very short distance to move once I'm home. I will back the trailer right up to the garage. It is then just a straight shot inside, about 10 feet or so. I have the pipe left over from recently moving a 10x54 knee mill we bought for the school. I'll likely lagg a screw eye into the floor so I can tie off the lathe, as there is slight slope to the garage floor. Having the lathe roll out my garage, across the driveway and into my neighbors car is very bad form. :)

Andy

Look up the term 'Scotch block'. Bit of metal plate drop, even hardwood plank, preferably tapered or beveled as a wedge - works as well or better than store-bought. Low profile is all you need here to 'scotch' a skate. Or pipe roller.

Much more portable than sinking anchors into unpredictable concrete to break it up 'coz yer too cheap to rent a jackhammer.

Frangible stuff concrete can be when side or shock loads arise, even on a good day. And did I say 'unpredictable'?

:)

Bill

Andy,

I think you have a good plan. Those trailers are nice, and will make rolling the 10EE off very easy. Screwy Tuesday has a nice setup for rolling a 10EE using skies and pipes. The machine stays low to the ground and will roll smoothly on the angle. I like pipes also because it gives flexibility to position the machine perpendicular to the roll direction (slide it across the pipes), which sometimes helps align the machine in its resting place before lowering it on the floor after pipe and ski removal. Just keep in mind the 10EE is a bit top heavy on the headstock end. Go slow and be safe. Have some help available if possible, besides, who wouldn't want the opportunity to help move a 10EE with you? I've moved tons of equipment this way (pun intended) My wife thinks I have a "problem" with old heavy equipment and machines. She is wrong! I have a big problem! Good luck... you'll be fine.

Jason
Slow is the name of the game. I've read here and elsewhere about the 10EE being top heavy and the terrible mishaps that can happen if you are not carefull. That is actually why I decided on the sled method. It should give the TS end a better support to the narrow base.

Now, if you have any hints on how I can get this in the garage without my wife noticing, I'm all ears. She worries whenever I show up the a trailer!

Andy

Now, if you have any hints on how I can get this in the garage without my wife noticing, I'm all ears. She worries whenever I show up the a trailer!

She's probably also the only one as might be handy to call 911 if you get trapped under a 10EE, too, so don't be in a hurry to send her off with an 'expires today' Lady-Store gift cert for a whole afternoon of shopping...

More reliable than shagging her senseless, hoping she falls asleep, those gift certs..

Some women that just gets their energy level for mischief up and their nose looking into EVERYTHING.

YMMV

She's probably also the only one as might be handy to call 911 if you get trapped under a 10EE, too, so don't be in a hurry to send her off with an 'expires today' Lady-Store gift cert for a whole afternoon of shopping...

More reliable than shagging her senseless, hoping she falls asleep, those gift certs..

Some women that just gets their energy level for mischief up and their nose looking into EVERYTHING.

YMMV
I joke, but actually she is very tolerant of my "heavy iron" problem. Probably more than I deserve.

Andy

actually she is very tolerant of my "heavy iron" problem. Probably more than I deserve.

Mine ever' now and then has come to the connecting door from the residence. Looked at all of it as if it is a form of madness only a 'Gweilo', never another Chinese, could ever even entertain.

Then smiles, and goes away when I tell her:

"Sweetheart? It keeps me out of the pubs and brothels!"

If ever she sees what I've SPENT on it, she'd know I can't afford either of them anyway..

:(

I was lucky and called my Uncle Bill.

103akgo.jpg

Back