What's new
What's new

Working 10EE, why change to AC motor?

CreeCustomGuns

Plastic
Hello All! I am the new owner of a 40's era Monarch 10EE. It is is running condition and still has the original DC motor. Why would be some of the factors to consider as to whether or not to update to an AC motor?

Thank you!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

the only reason to update is when it becomes uneconmical to keep repairing the dc drive. If you can't work on them yourself or find someone local who can keep it running ( for hire electrician, etc) then the ac's are the common route. I can tell you there is no noticeable performance difference. I have an ac flux vector retro, an original MG, a Beel DC drive retro ( that was an original wiad ). no difference between all of them when it comes to making chips. For the most part the dc's are economical to repair for a very long time- my ac retro was a basket case with no drive when I got it.

Usually there is no advantage to replacing a Monarch system that has been working for 60 plus years. Most look to replacement when the old system dies or when they cannot figure why it won't start. Sometimes the old systems are noisy. If it runs, keep it going. Jim

Back