What's new
What's new

Advice on locating error on LB15II OPUS7000

GibsonI

Aluminum
Hi All,

Id be lost without all the valuable information found here from you all, thanks so much.

I have restored an LB15II and just after running my first trial part in acetal I lost power. I have confirmed its the OPUS7000 powersupply board. I was loaned another from a friend and then blew theirs after a few hours.

I am lost as to how to proceed to locate the source of this problem.

Appreciate any help at all as no one seems to be able to help. Okuma can of course send me a new board ... which I'll blow a few hours later.

Kind Regards,Iain.

Sounds like a great time to call in a service guy to check it out. Is your voltage to the machine ok?

I don't know if that one has a transformer or not but I know my 1996 Cadet and newer machines like 200V +/-10% My cadet does not have a transformer, all my other okumas do.

I would also think (I hope at least) there would be something to protect from an over voltage scenario.

Sounds like a great time to call in a service guy to check it out. Is your voltage to the machine ok?

I don't know if that one has a transformer or not but I know my 1996 Cadet and newer machines like 200V +/-10% My cadet does not have a transformer, all my other okumas do.

I would also think (I hope at least) there would be something to protect from an over voltage scenario.

Also consider the possibility that something downstream of the power supply is partially shorted or otherwise messed up. Incoming voltage is easy to check and usually the supply is fused for really egregious violations, but downstream they sometimes don't have much protection.

You don't say what "blew", either. That would tell you something.

Hi Guys,

Thanks for the replies.

It does have a transformer yes. Good incoming voltage.

Indeed there is likely a short downstream from the power supply (OPUS7000 powersupply board in the rack).

The board looks schmick - there is nothing obvious and 2 very good electronics technicians have looked at it and not found the fault at their bench - other than to conclude it doesn't work but cant find the error.

Thanks guys.

Back