What's new
What's new

Anyone with a M560 using a M&P HP coolany system?

Captdave

Titanium
Ours was delivered a couple of weeks ago so on Friday started to unpack it to get ready to install on Saturday. There is a lot of pieces and parts in a box so started laying out what was going to be needed. One of the first things I noticed was the control connector from the mill doesn't look anything like the one going to the HP system. The one shown is from the mill and the one on the HP system is a round 20 pin connector.

IMG_0059.jpg

Our Okuma rep said that since this machine was sold with the HP coolant prep then its just plug and play, well that's far from reality. Called M&P tech support and they only ship the systems in a generic configuration and give you a whole bunch of extra stuff and you figure it out. The control cable from the HP system has a round 20 pin connector attached and a length of cable that you have to run to the machine and wire up but of course the Okuma supplement wiring diagram depicts relays that this machine doesn't have so it must be for a older generation control, not a P300.

So tech support texts me the relay number and which wires go where so hooked it up as instructed. Connected the main power and all the hoses, added 50 gal of coolant and as soon as you turn on the master switch the main pump starts with out any M codes, so that isn't good. Had another guy in the shop double check the wiring against what was sent and said its correct.

After a bunch of farting around and almost overfilling the machine coolant tank onto the floor we discovered that the feed pump inside the HP system that sucks coolant out of the machine to keep the HP system full is leaking badly from the front seal and will not suck coolant from the machine tank after following their "priming" instructions.

M&P is shipping a replacement feed pump which is nice but we still haven't got the electrical worked out and have not had the time in the evenings when the machine is not in production to investigate further.

The M560 comes prepped/wired for the Okuma thru spindle pump, which is different than the MP pump. The wiring is fairly easy though. Main power comes through the large connector, just pickup 3 phase from anywhere in the cabinet and run through the supplied breaker.

The round signal wire connection will handle on/off and alarm wires. Your machine should have a motor contactor KM16.

Wire 1 -> KM16 A1
Wire 5 -> KM16 A2
Wire 7 -> QFM16 22
Wire 8 -> QFM16 13
Move the existing okuma wire that is on QFM16 13 to QFM 22, so there will be 2 wires going into 22.

Remove and cap the 3 black output voltage wires coming from the bottom of the contactor. Those are the power wires for the Okuma pump interface, and are going to an open plug, you don't want to energize those wires without anything connected for safety reasons.

Make sure you check pump motor direction. If it is running backwards, swap 2 of the 3ph power wires to reverse phase.

The M560 comes prepped/wired for the Okuma thru spindle pump, which is different than the MP pump.

OK, that explains the different connector!

So here is the pin out that came from M&P for the M560 P300 control from a text from one of their tech support guys;

Wire 1 will go on km16 a1,
9 on km16 a2.<---------------- this is different from your post and most likely the culprit.
7 will go on qfm16 22,
8 on qfm16 13

The wire that is on 13 will move to 22 with wire 7

Anyways just to confirm, on QMF16 pin 13, there are two wire labeled P24A, move BOTH to pin 22 so there will be a total of 3 wires on that pin?

Sometime today I'll change the feed pump then I'll get back on this. I did get a reply from Okuma Morris that they would send out a tech on Tuesday if I still need him free of charge.:)

Yeah, wire 9 is +24v and wire 5 is 0V so that would explain why your pump is always on.

If there are 2 okuma wires on pin 13, move them both. Pin 13 and 22 are used for the alarm circuit (normally closed), and you are adding the MP alarm circuit in series to the existing okuma wires. If either side breaks open, you get a motor overload alarm and the MP pump should shut off.

Good to know, just pulled the leaking feed pump off and swapping fittings now so bar any major interruptions I should have it back together this afternoon and ready to swap wires after this shift.

I really appreciate you time sharing this info.

Yeah, wire 9 is +24v and wire 5 is 0V so that would explain why your pump is always on.

If there are 2 okuma wires on pin 13, move them both. Pin 13 and 22 are used for the alarm circuit (normally closed), and you are adding the MP alarm circuit in series to the existing okuma wires. If either side breaks open, you get a motor overload alarm and the MP pump should shut off.
She is purring like a kitten:D Wire 9 was the magic bullet, M codes operate normal and was able to test the alarms codes and they function as should.

I will say I had a heck of a time getting the system primed, no problem using the fill valve to fill the supply line, was reading about 25 PSI but just would not fill the tank. Got a little ticked off and started opening and closing the wye valves while it was running and finally got the last of the air out of the system and functions normal now. That thing really refills the tank quickly!

I can't thank you enough for taking the time and interest in helping get this in service.

She is purring like a kitten

Hopefully not like a deadlykitten! Haha

Glad to hear you're up and running, yes the priming is sometimes a pain. Especially the refill pump. A little trick, you can hold the enter key on the panel to force the pump to stay on even if it is giving you a "slow fill" alarm.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

seeing this thread remind me of this one : http://www.practicalmachinist.com/v...-systems-324100/index2.html?highlight=coolant

i thought that the guy from there also replied here, but ... just saying :)

however grdnanthy, also you pm me a while ago about a defining macros :)

is good to know who is who arround here

i noticed that the " general machining forum " has much more activity than the " okuma forum "; for me sometimes is hard to see a good reply between all those replies :)

I can't thank you enough for taking the time and interest in helping get this in service

come on, you could do more than that :)

Deadlykitten, I had an MP systems 1000psi pump on the GX1000 OSP I sold a few years ago. It was a nice pump, but overkill for my needs. I also like how the okuma 200 psi system filters the coolant and returns it to the machine's tank through the overflow hose. I didn't remember how the MP pump was interfaced to the GX so I didn't have anything to contribute.

Glad you got the MP pump working though Captdave!

Back