What's new
What's new

LP Okuma Lathe, Clean up and repair.

Turbine Builder

Aluminum
G'day guys, i have been lurking around on this site for a couple of weeks for info on the LP Okuma Lathes. Well i have purchase this one 2 weeks ago and have started to clean her up, the lathe works well very quiet. There is some wear on the ways but not as bad as some lathes i have seen, some photos here for you people to look at i what i have done so far. I will have some question to ask you all as i dig deeper into the lathe clean up stage

Cheers,
Mark.

Attachments

• Resize of IMG_5816.jpg
    Resize of IMG_5816.jpg
    93.7 KB · Views: 2,191
  • Resize of IMG_5809.jpg
    Resize of IMG_5809.jpg
    88.8 KB · Views: 1,440
  • Resize of IMG_5811.jpg
    Resize of IMG_5811.jpg
    88.9 KB · Views: 731
  • Resize of IMG_5825.jpg
    Resize of IMG_5825.jpg
    89.5 KB · Views: 888
  • Resize of IMG_5846.jpg
    Resize of IMG_5846.jpg
    94.6 KB · Views: 773
Last edited:
Thanks mate, there was a second Okuma lp lathe were i purchase this one from which was a gap bed model unfortunately he sold it. But i think this one will clean nicely and provide many years of service, they don't make them like this any more. I had a chinese lathe it was ok but you can tell the quality with a japanese lathe.
Cheers,
Mark. Resize of IMG_5830.jpgResize of IMG_5828.jpgResize of IMG_5829.jpg

G'day cyanidekid, thanks mate. Yeah going to use a VFD as i have 240 volts shingle phase in the workshop. But first must finish off the cleaning and repairs then i can research more on VFDs
Cheers,
Mark.

I made up a couple of lifting blocks to lift off the apron. I know i have to remove the shafts support block, but i don't know if the shafts need to be pulled out first or do i slide the apron of the shafts ??? I don't see the rack teeth under the bedway.
Cheers,
Mark.Resize of IMG_5871.jpgResize of IMG_5869.jpgResize of IMG_5870.jpg

I used to own one of these. 8 LK-P Okumas were imported into U.S. by Boston Machinery in the early 70s, I think. Very well made. They have a huge Kopp variator. I was checking this, and they only approve of two oils for it. I think one was Shell Molina 2 SB ?? I called Kopp when I had mine as the variator worked, but was noisy. They wanted $6000 to rebuild it. Umm No. Using Google, I just found someone who took theirs apart and fixed it. It is pretty fascinating inside.

Mark's Okuma looks like a nice one. I think he will like it. One thjing to note, these Okuma's are very,very low to the ground.

regards,

Jon P.

Hi Jon,
Yes i like this lathe even though i haven't used it yet, but am very impress how well it's made. You might can see in the pics it came with the 6 inch steel platforms so it's just the right height. OK i got the apron off and as you can see it will need a good clean. I could not remove the pin that holds the lead screw will try again tomorrow. I am very tempted to give her a fresh coat of paint will see how i go with the cleaning.
Cheers,
Mark.Resize of IMG_5878.jpgResize of IMG_5872.jpgResize of IMG_5873.jpgResize of IMG_5874.jpgResize of IMG_5875.jpg

she's gonna clean up nice, it looks like! yep, apron needs a bit of a scrub. what is a Kopp variator ? hmm.. gonna have to look that up

hy :) did you check radial / frontal play on the spindle ?

also, if there is wear, you may refresh the guidelines using a "linear (i dont know english word)"

once spindle and guidelines are ok, mount a chuck and put back the thing that goes left right :)

craft a part, and if all sounds nice, keep it that way until something strange will happen :)

Hi, no haven't check play on spindle yet will do some checks when it's back together. As for the guidelines or do you mean bed ways? I'm not to worried about wear on the bed ways it's over 50 years old and there is no way to get the bed ways refresh or regrind can not remove the bed ways and i think it would cost a fortune to get that job done, just have to work with what play i have on the machine. Maybe the saddle and compound could be refresh ? Thanks for the tips.

Nice lathe!

I have its bigger brother, the Okuma LS. Yours seems to be a nicer size for the work I do. Very happy with the quality, these machines are a joy to use.

Oh I know your type!
You are one of those fellas who just have to strip every new toy down to bare metal before putting it to work ar'nt ya?
Did the same to your toys as a kid also, did'nt ya?
I can spot you a mile (or 6875 miles?) away, got'cha!

Looks like some real nice metal you have there. Good luck and enjoy.
P

Hi Botje, thanks. I was looking at a couple of Okuma LS lathes they are just a bit to big to fit in the workshop, I think it's easy to get parts for that model?

Back