What's new
What's new

Macturn 30, facing wobbly flange?

mkd

Stainless
Guys,
I'm quoting these Ti parts. Pretty simple round deals, except that the flange face and backside are not flat. Consistent wall thickness.

Just wondering if there was a way to program a lathe tool using the z axis to move in and out to interpolate the wobble.

I figure there's probably a way to program a ball end mill equivalent to a lathe nose radius. Two problems i see are; a milling program on C axis would turn really slow for a turning tool and the machine might not be able to be tricked into running a mill program on the lathe side.

I've seen youtube videos of turning crank journals on okuma, just don't know how myself.....

hy, i only understand half, because some terms i don't master ; however, please share an image / drawing, and i may be able to help / kindly !

Turning a cam on an Okuma Lathe - YouTube

well sorry for the over complicated description. Just imagine a flange butted up to the inside of a large radius tube. Geometry should be gently enough not to worry about dragging the relief of a turning tool.

I want to cam-turn, but instead of using X axis, as in video, i want to use Z.
WTF would you call this; Interpolated trepanning?

Ok, maybe i'm going off the deep end with a crazy idea...

hello, i have attached an image :) please provide :
.... geometry / dimensions for the part
.... tool diameter
.... check / specify the plane ; i guess is same as the video / kindly !

Attachments

• 01.jpg
    01.jpg
    15.2 KB · Views: 98
A little late but I have turned cam type profiles on machines where I programmed it like I was cutting it in a 4th on a mill and then used that code to drive the turning tool. You end up with a low SFM but it works for 1 or two parts. You could potentially do something like that on the face as long as it isn't too aggressive. You would need to fire a M808 to allow it to feed without spindle rotation and M867 to turn off CAS (I have only done this on P200 and newer machines so you will have to test it on the MacTurn)

Back