What's new
What's new

MU-4000V Matrix ATC problem

Cfachini

Plastic
Hi, I've read many threads on here but have just registered to post. I have a problem which seems simple enough but no one can figure it out.

Here is what happened: Noticed a possible problem with a part and stopped my program at the beginning of Tool #8, pulled T8 out of the spindle, it was chipped in a strange place. I wanted to compare it against another tool... with T8 sitting on the bench I attempted to remove another tool for inspection. Went to ATC manual and began "1 step return" to reset the ATC to sequence 1 and cancel the pre-call. The ATC began changing back to Tool #7, seen this before didn't think much of it... now the problem begins...

The tool arm inside the matrix ("spindle?") reached Tool #8's pot while empty and refused to go any further. We can't get it to move anywhere... 1 step return, 1 step advance, nothing works.

Error in the green ATC manual screen is

ATC DIAG. *ATC SEQUENCE*

16889 Carry pot tool exist confirmation SQ is not ON

The machine is only about 6 months old so naturally no one wants to make the problem worse, but Okuma's service techs are coming "when they get a chance" and the machine has been sitting for three days with what seems like a simple problem. Anyone have any experience with this?

hello :) as i can see, there are 2 things :

[ it was chipped in a strange place ] : i can help you, since this require someone to be near the cnc :)

[
Error in the green ATC manual screen ] : please be carefull, that going one_step_forward ( or back ) does not mean that all is ok : for example, if you interfere within a tool change cycle and remove the tool from the spindle, and after that you go step-by-step ATC, it will trigger an error at some moment, because there is no tool

thus, going step-by-step may work a few steps even if machine state is not as expected :)

i dont have an mu4000v and i dont know if this behaviour aplies to your cnc

I see your problem. I believe the issue is because you tried to return an tool back to its pot to grab another, but there was physically no tool there. There is a "tool present" sensor in both the ATC matrix arm and the spindle. I'm guessing that the matrix arm detected there was no tool present, even though the control thought there was. A few days have gone by since your post so I hope your local service techs fixed you up.

For the future to make sure this doesn't happen again, in the Tool Data - Magazine Info, "Remove" the tool in the spindle (ACT T-No.) before trying to command the tool change when there is no tool in the spindle.

In addition, you can use M64 to un-prestage a tool rather than using the tool changer recovery buttons.

Hope that helps!

The service tech rebooted the machine in a setup mode (maybe adjust?) to fix the problem. We asked if there was a safer way to recover it and we're still waiting to hear back.

An AE came in a few days later and showed us how to use the manual controls for the matrix system, which works really well. This allows you to remove tools from the side of the machine, even during auto operation, which is great.

Also, Tskinner is dead on with the M64 from MDI mode, I didn't know about that either. I haven't needed the green ATC manual screen since.

This was a combination of a lack of (good) training and a dumb move on my part, but I could easily replicate the problem again. This makes me think that Okuma should try to fix this problem in the future. Maybe a software update? Just saying ;-)

Back