What's new
What's new

Multipule offsets for ID and OD threadmilling

Captdave

Titanium
Once again the lathes are slammed with work and we need to make some threaded hardware for one of our products.

So here is my plan...saw slugs, fixture and threadmill 10 parts with a male thread OP10 and another 10 female thread OP20 at the same time. It just occurred to me that I would need 2 offsets (normally do OP10 in the lathe bar feeding) but a quick glance at the tool table in the Okuma P300 control I only see one radius offset available?
Haven't had the time yet to grab a manual but have to think is doable

Any quick tips?

I am with deadlykitten (stellar name btw), can't see why 2 offsets would be needed. Radius of the tool is static, Or should be?

Can you provide more explanation of what you mean?

Worst case scenario IIRC Okuma has programmable data input, you could G10 a different R value. I can't remember it might not be G10 on Okuma, but almost dead certain it has the functionality.

Since I have never done both ID and OD threads with the same tool in the same program perhaps I'm overthinking this. My assumption is that the tool pressure maybe different from cutting a OD thread ( larger radius ) versus a ID thread ( smaller radius ) but perhaps not. Like I said haven't done this before and just trying to get out ahead of this if there is a problem.

Thanks for your input.

Assuming you are following the same process for ruff/semi/finish, no.

Deflection will not be incredibly different in my experience, outside of massive size differences and other factors I don't think apply to this scenario.

In your tool offset page, there are three offset registers for each tool available (length and diameter), they are tagged HA,HB,HC and DA,DB & DC. D's are diameter comps, H's are length comps. In your program, you can then call offset G41 DA for the comp on the ID feature, then use G42 DB for the OD feature. Adjustable independently.

I am with deadlykitten

whatever happens, i am with sir captain captdave :) till the ship gots drown

IIRC Okuma

what means IIRC ?

toolpath is a helix, just like when machining a o20 with a o10 mill :)
... pitch as thread requires
... no more a complete loop at the bottom
... if OD thread, than aprroach, and exit, from outside the toolpath
...... else ( ID thread ) , than aprroach, and exit, from inside the toolpath

stuff above works for bought tool types :
... T type, with teeth all over the diameter, like a normal T endmill ( tool is simetrical )
... insert type, thus tool is not simetrical; rotation = revolution ( do you have this option ? )

do not worry about pressure : gentle depths should get you to that island with mermaids :)

In your tool offset page, there are three offset registers for each tool available (length and diameter), they are tagged HA,HB,HC and DA,DB & DC. D's are diameter comps, H's are length comps. In your program, you can then call offset G41 DA for the comp on the ID feature, then use G42 DB for the OD feature. Adjustable independently.
Awesome! That is what I was looking for!

Back