What's new
What's new

Need help getting tool probe going on MX40HA HMC

SMT

Hot Rolled
I have zero experience with anything renishaw and what's on this machine is old (its a 1998)

M144 and M145 will advance and retract the touch setter but other than that, I have no idea where to go. I haven't found any programs in the control that look like tool set macros. I googled and found this on that other cnc forum -

"This is the program we use on our OSP-E100M MA600HB machine.

$TOOL.LIB%
OTOOL
M00
HSET=0 (PRESET VARIABLE)
IF [VACOD NE 0] N1
G15 H50 HSET=1
N1 CALL OO30 VFST=1 PY=VTOFD[VTLCN]
IF [HSET NE 1] NEND
G15 H0
NEND
G0 Z800
RTS
%

Very similar to Budgie's code but less clear in what it does...
We have this one set up as a M-Code macro rather than a G-Code, but either way will work.
Both codes use the tool radius to put the tip inline with the tool setter point.

To calibrate the tool setter I use the following instructions:

Setting the Touch Sensor ZERO Point (Z Axis)

1. From MDI: execute Sensor Advance M144
2. Position Setting Bar in front of touch sensor.
3. MDI: CALL OO30 PAXI=7 PLI=0

After this, use the tool setting code to check the length of the setting tool, should be spot on.

Setting the Touch Sensor ZERO Point (X+Y)
1. From MDI: execute Sensor Advance M144
2. Mount a small diameter drill into the spindle (size not important)
3. Bring drill point up to sensor head and position centrally on sensor.
4. From MDI: CALL OO30 PAXI=3
a. X and Y axis zero offset is executed so that the present (actual) position of the drill becomes X0 Y0. Z axis will not move.
b. After the execution of the X and Y zero set, Z axis will move, at rapid, to the positive end of the axis and the sensor will retract.

Hope this helps.
Brian."

His machine is similar to mine though my control is an OSP700M but I bet the function would be the same.

Does the touch setter need to be "activated" as in electrically powered to function, or does the M144 advance M code take care of that?

Also, what does CALL OO30 PAXI=7 PLI=0 do? I get that it executes a program (0030?) but what's the rest all about?

I'm sure I'll have other questions but I need to start somewhere. . .

hi smt :)

144 is for a moveable ( popup ) type senzor
paxi 7 is for Z calibration
paxi 3 is for XY calibration
PLI=0 means that the tool used to do the Z setting is the calibration tool delivered by Okuma ( =calibre )
PLI<>0 means that tool used to do the Z setting:
- is the calibre, but there is a desire to shift the origin reference point for Z offsets, or
- is not the calibre

Last edited:
Actually, right after I posted here I emailed one of the guys at my distributor. He sent back calibration and tool touch programs for me!

Back