What's new
What's new

Okuma Live tool lathes- canned cycle question

WILLEO6709

Diamond
On Drills, do you use the G180 series canned cycles for everything or do you segregate the static on center drills into the G70 series cycles? I have not tried using them interchangeably on the machine yet... trying to sort out a couple minor issues in a cam post.

any advantage or disadvantage?

On Drills, do you use the G180 series canned cycles for everything ...

hy :) after some particular cases that default cycles could not handle, i tried / learned coding things the hard way : writing code char by char, or "long hand" syle ; i heared that such a manual writing mode is called "long hand"

maybe there are parts where i could simply use a default cycle, but i got used so much to "long hand" style, that i simply forgot the simple codes :)

however, even if there are cases when a simple/default cycle may deliver, there may be issues because of "load monitor=LM" + "rapid feed ignore", thus the code may work, but "LM" will fail : for example on long drills >3D, rapid out and rapid back in may get stuck the tool stuck because of the chips between the tool and hole, or during tool retraction, chips may fall from the flute inside the hole, and tool will crash them when going back in; also, on long drills, it may be required to change cutting specs like this :
... slow rpm when entering the hole after a shorter drill
... increase rpm at desired value when the long drill reached the clearence point
... cut for a while, and after lower the rpm/feed, because the drill is too deep, etc etc etc

of course, if your machining is simple, than you may consider a default cycle without worries :)

... center drills ...

generally, i avoid center drills, or if you wish, i don't use them always before a drill

if i should cut a deep hole, i would start directly with a 3D, and continue after it with whatever needed; also, if there are no cilindricity requirements, and if possible, i would start directly with a 5D; maybe going straight forward with a 5D is a bit risky, but with a 3D is ok :)

i use center drills without questions only when there is the tailstock :)

... do you segregate the static ...

i try as much as possible to cut by rotating the tool, and not the spindle, because cutting is more fluid this way, less vibrations, etc ... the spindle comes with excentricity issues, thus tool may not be coaxial with spindle axis, etc

even on center holes ( X0 ) i preffer to rotate the tool, rather than the spindle; this may deliver a hole a bit excentric, because of alignment issues, but it may still be fine this way

of course, you may set up that CAM to generate whatever you wish, until a particular case will come :) if that particular case is for few parts , than there will be no worries, but for many parts, well, i guess you know :)

Last edited:

Back